How can I hold my tongue and temper while living the next year with someone who is immature and rude?

My sister in law and I both live with my in-laws. She is nice to me some days but other days she is rude, makes drama over nothing, pushes into our business, and constantly nags me. How can I keep my temper and not say anything when I am boiling inside. We need to live here one more year and I dont want to start a fight and get kicked out.

My MIL just says "Thats the way she is, it is nothing you are doing." and "Ignore her." So how can I do that? What is a good mantra for this maybe?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Okay...trying to stick myself in your shoes..from the bit you've said.
    If it were me..I'd be upset and aggravated along with frustrated too.
    To deal with it for the next year without getting a brain aneurism,or an ulcer...I think I would tune her out as much as I could. Turn up the music, smile, laugh, dance around like an idiot.When she started up with her gossip..I'd put my arm around her shoulder and hug her and say thats why I love you..never a dull moment. Youre stories are so colorful. Kiss her cheek and walk off.Leave her speechless enough times, maybe she'll quit talking. Never know, it could work, lol.
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Love the first responce wow if every one was like that we all would be in a better place world wide.I just love it If you don't get any more answer then that she just somed it up for you.
    paurad

Answer by paurad at 2:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• She really is a b*tch though. When she is having one of her tantrums (which she is far too old for) anyone who trys to hug her or even touch her gets shoved and yelled at. There is no negotiating or reasoning with her. She literally WONT listen or allow you in at all. I just need a way to make it bother me less. I dont think it should matter to me that she acts stupid but I dont know how to live that out.
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It is what it is.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My best suggestion is stay away from her as much as possible and don't try to reach her when she's upset if she's that reactive. Good luck, that would be hard.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• refuse to engage - refuse to respond. ignore her as much as possible. i completely understand how it gets to the point of wanting to slap the bitch silly and talk sense into her - i have a teenage daughter after all.... just realize that you cannot change her you can only change you and you can choose to get sucked into her web or not... it's hard but it can be done.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010