Why is the E-85 gas priced so high when it's only 15% gasoline!?

I drive a flex-fuel vehicle that takes the E-85 gas. Today I drove by the station where I usually get my gas, and the E-85 was the same price as regular unleaded. Somethings fishy here!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Its not fishy its corny, hahahaha. Okay now that I have made a complete fool out of myself I could not have said it any better than the previous posters. Despite all of the facts it stinks.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• one issue is supply and demand - not a whole lot of demand for it so they can get away with charging more. If more people used it, they'd have to drop their prices to compete with other stores.

also depends on how far they are having to transport it to you. In areas in the midwest where they have a lot of corn, it's cheaper than gasoline since it doesn't have to go anywhere. Transportation adds quite a bit to the price of things.

E85 is good for the environment, not the wallet
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• corn subsidies
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• because the amount of people who actually carry the stuff is low so the price can be pretty high
    ladykyr

Answer by ladykyr at 2:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• it costs a lot to make ethanol, it is not a cheap resource, the only reason it is even affordable is government subsidies.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 2:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• corn is pricey this year.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• ethanol is more expensive. It's not attractive because of the price, it's attractive because it's renewable. Oil is not.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• corn! We are corn country here and the fields are flooded so crops are down.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They still have to make it. Anyway as others have said it's made of corn and the only way the government go them to agree to make it was by giving subsidies to corn farmers for the corn. That's why it's so high. I call that government stupidity.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Drivers jumping on the latest gas-saving bandwagon may be in for a shock when they see fuel-economy estimates for the newest darlings of Detroit: E85 ethanol flex-fuel vehicles. Run a new V6 Chevrolet Impala on good-old gasoline, and it'll get 21 miles per gallon in the city, 31 on the highway, according to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates. Burn E85 -- a blend of 85 percent of the alcohol-based fuel ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, which American automakers flaunt as their latest alternative-energy idea -- and the Impala's EPA numbers shrivel to 16 mpg city, 23 highway.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/how-e85-ethanol-flex-fuel-works.htm

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010