Do you limit what your child eats?

say after a 4 year old's third piece of pizza do you tell them "that's enough?" sometimes I'll offer mine an apple or carrots instead and suddenly she's not hungry anymore. Thoughts?

ladykyr

Asked by ladykyr at 2:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Good for you. None of us should eat until we are full. Only until we aren't hungry any more. I have been trying to work w/ my child on this so weight does not become an issue. Stick to your guns mom- you're doing it right!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't say no you can't eat, but I do control it. If she wants 3 sandwiches, I normally say Lily you can have bla bla in stead, it's a little more healthy and she gets more variety. Maybe if you give the child one slice of pizza, and then a full carrot, and a couple apple slices and then some more pizza so she gets all that she needs.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't limit the amount they can have, but will say they have to eat something else before they can have more. i.e. the fruits or veggies.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• all kids are different. if my kids were eating unhealthy amounts of something i would stop them.. but my son is just skinny as hell. just like dh - he eats all the time - i only insist on him finishing (or close to finishing) his 3 healthy meals and then he can eat whatever and when ever because he is only in the 30th percentile for weight/80th for height - you can see ribs. so with My kid - i would never limit him, i would be so happy if he ate that muc.... but with a different kid i would do differently.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I try to. We're working on portion control with all our kids (and ourselves). We were living with my dad who is a compulsive overeater (as am I) and he was constantly telling the kids they could have more. His reasoning was "they're growing" but they were eating twice the recommended adult portion. Geesh.
    They don't always like it but I put less and less on their plates with meals now. They can always have seconds and since we're so poor now and don't have a lot of food I'm constantly reminding them to only eat enough so they don't feel hungry because if they eat it all now there won't be any food for the next day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We limit the sweets. He is allowed ONE treat (say one cookie) a day. We are teaching correct portions and only eating when you are hungry and not overeating.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• we limit sweets.
    Mom2Giovanna

Answer by Mom2Giovanna at 11:25 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I try to give them a well rounded meal. If he says 'I want another poptart (or whatever)' it's a 'No, why don't you have a bowl of applesauce'. If he doesn't want that then he really isn't that hungry. However if he is eating what I am offering him instead of trying to binge on the treats, then I wouldn't limit the amount.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I did only because it takes around 20 minutes for the brain and stomach to work together in thinking it's full. When having pizza start with a salad first and then pizza.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010