intoxication?

Do you think it's ok for a care giver to be intoxicated/impaired around children? Does it make any difference if they're the only adult around or if there are others?

What kind/level of intoxication/impairment do you think is acceptable around what age?

Alcohol? Marijuana? Meth? Uppers? Downers?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 2:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Ummm no level at all, I think. In an emergency could they drive a car, even? My son has severe food allergies and asthma so I am esp. concerned w/ things like that
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• And if youre going to ask why its acceptable for me and not for a caregiver...I'll tell you why.
    Because as a babysitter...that is the job one is getting paid to do. You don't drink on the job.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't want my childrens' caregiver intoxicated at all.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I see,
    Babysitter..best NOT be intoxicated in any way while taking care of my child.
    Me..by MYSELF...I have drank a couple glasses of wine or a beer around my son..but not when he was baby little and never was I drunk.
    Me..with other adults around...sure have gotten toasted..again..not when the kids are babies, I feel like I'm the only one that can care for them well and I need all my abilities,lol. My DH really doesnt drink.So, I have that option when he's around.But I don't get shit faced either.
    Other adults..we have parties at our house often...like family/friend get togethers.People do drink and there are kids here.Its a laid back environment,bon fire,volley ball,baseball game going on,music,dancing,hide and seek...noone gets really drunk though.And they even throw up tents in our yard and stay the night..so no drinking and driving.
    Drugs...NO TO ALL THE ABOVE.They are illegal, so there is NO responsible drug use.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Meh, I think it's a very slippery slope and a fine line! What is considered intoxicated? I have taken DayQuil and been flying high for hours and I've had a drink or two and never felt a buzz... So what is and what isn't? I think if you're at a point where you can't care for your or someone elses kids, then you shouldn't be... But again, when each of us hit that point and on what is going to be different. And I'm not worthy of making the choice for someone else. I also think it depends on the age of the children involved. If you're caring for an infant or toddler who need constant attention, I would say you need to watch your intake and intoxication level even more than normal. Whereas if you are watching a 10 or 11 year old it's not as big of a deal... And then there are people like those with ADHD or something who are actually better equip once they have a few hits in them... Or those on meds... Again, it's not a B&W issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't think that a caregiver should be inebriated around children if they are the only ones there as, if there was ever a problem, it would be their responsibility to fix it. If there is another person there capable of taking over with the children if necessary then perhaps getting 'tipsy' (or similar) would be fine, but I personally would never go beyond that with children under my care.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 7:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't have more than a couple of sips of wine when my kids are around, and never enough for a buzz.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What do you mean?DO you mean like a babysitter???
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I htink a few drinks is ok. I wouldnt want my dd to see adults drunk but a few beers at a cookout is ok. If it is the only person around they need to be sober enouh to help the child in the event of an emergency. I am against all drugs so Id just say a few drinks are ok..no drunkeness.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If it were the only adult with a child, then they shouldn't be impaired. If there are others around, then if a couple have a couple of drinks and leave one sober then it's alright in my opinion. So long as the one's having the drinks or whatever do it with moderation and aren't being obnoxiously plastered.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010