how can I potty train my special needs daughter? (almost four and scared of potty)

delanasmom

Asked by delanasmom at 2:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you looked at the 3 day method - very effective... not allowed to quote it but it works.. i used an adapted model of it... as for her fear of the potty ... why does it scare her (the noise i assume) you just have to show her that it wont hurt her - yes by forcing her to be by it. flushing it herself... reward all her little steps toward the fear issue before you begin the training.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son is three and i recently got him potty trained so i know exactly how you feel. I had tried EVERYTHING because my son had the same problem. He was scared of the potty. My husband went out and bought a small potty that had some music. He put it in our sons bathroom and took our son in there. My husband sat on the big potty and showed my son that everything was okay that he could do it too IF he wanted to. We then went out and bought a potty chart that had elmo on it and it came with stickers to put on it (HE LOVES STICKERS) we also went out and bought a basket and filled it with little toys from the dollar store and told my son if he trys the potty that not only can he have a sticker but he can choose whatever toy he wanted. Well.. after several days of just not asking him i was giving him a bath and he asked if he could use the potty. Hes been potty trained since. After i stopped asking is when he did it.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I might ask the Pedi if they have anything they suggest.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2010