How old for the sex talk?

Sometimes my 3 yo wants me to tickle her private areas. ( I tickle her back and arms when she is falling asleep) I tell her no that noone touches her private areas but her and she asks why... So I try to just say they are private and noone is allowed to touch them but her...what age did you have to start dealing with this?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 2:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has asked things from about that age on. He is 7 now. I try to keep it AGE appropriate but truthful! I want him to know that I have the answers...(lol I hope I do) and that he can talk to me anytime.

I think you gave a good age appropriate answer :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I started before they could even understand. I don't mean having the "birds and the bees" talk, but I tell my children that those areas are for no one to see or touch. Honestly, my children have never asked me why. I have just always emphasized that there are parts of their body that are private and no one is allowed to touch them.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I haven't had a talk, but several talks over the past couple years. When she asks a question, I give her an answer. She's 5 now, has known about sex, periods, where and how babies come from, what parts of her body is called and stuff like that since she was 3. But she's always been curious and asked a lot. Of course she doesn't know the fun, kinky stuff, but she does know the basics. Also that it's her body, that no one touches it, and why. She knows what to do if someone does touch her, that it's not something to be ashamed about and not her fault. It's best to teach them young and add to it as they get older than to put it off and always tell them "when you're older" then have one big serious talk as an early teen.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My girls are 3&5 and they know that those are "privates" so we need to keep them private.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would never give them any information without them asking for it, but I believe in answering children's questions honestly (obviously diluting the content a little...). That's what my mother did with me, so if anything came up I felt comfortable asking her, but information was never forced on me.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 6:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think you answered it very well. I answer just enough to satisfy the question, but without delving into more detail. My 3 yr old DS knows that boys have a penis and girls don't. So far, he hasn't asked what girls do have, he just knows that it isn't a penis. He knows that nobody but Mommy or Daddy when we are helping him dress or bathe, or the Dr. when Mommy or Daddy are there, should touch him. He can touch himself, but he should go to his room or be in the bathroom.
    I won't be like my Mom and have NO conversations until he's 13 and then sit there while he reads a really cheesy book and make it all uncomfortable so that I NEVER wanted to ask her anything. LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Any age is a good age for a 'sex talk' as long as it is at an age appropraite level. At 3 I don't think she is ready for anything involving the word 'intercourse' but a basic understanding that we have areas on our bodies that others aren't allowed to touch (except for Mommy and the Dr.) because they are special parts to us is important.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2010