Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

does anyone know how to get a grant to attend school that doesn't have to be repaid?

Answer Question

Asked by UniqueT at 2:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

Level 3 (27 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • You can get Pell grants if your income is low enough. Try this web site: or maybe other similar ones.  I know women can get grants for certain fields of study, so it also depends on what you want to study.


    Answer by andrea96 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • You apply by filling out a FAFSA form.

    Answer by luvsmysonjames at 3:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • In addition to what andrea96 posted, you can also sometimes obtain grants directly from the college or university based on having good grades or for belonging to certain organizations, etc.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • The Pell Grant. There are many other grants too. Go to to find out what ones don't have to be repaid.
    The Pell Grant is for low income families though, so you may not qualify.
    Go to for Scholarships as well.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • Just apply and see what they say.... worth a shot!

    Answer by sherribeare at 3:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • Go to the school's financial aid office and ask for advice. They should have tons of information.

    Answer by elizabr at 3:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • As PP have said go to the Finacial Aid office in the school you are going to attend. They can even help you fill out the forms.

    Answer by luvmygrlz at 5:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

  • apply like hell for all sorts of grants

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • College? Just go to the school and fill out the financial aid package. You can also fill out the FAFSA online

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Yup... I know a lot of people who get grants. There are grants from the federal gov't, state gov't, and your college. Our income doesn't allow us to get much. Last semester I got $300 only, but a friend of mine just got a few thousand! You might also want to look into scholarships. My husband got a $10,000/year grant from the Erma Bird Scholarship each year he was in school on top of his full-ride! I felt silly apply for scholarships because I only had a GED, but now I'm in college with a 4.0 so I'll be doing that soon. Just make sure to keep your grades up and prove you're serious and there are people and organizations out there who will be willing to assist you!

    Answer by Kisses4Henry at 6:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.