Is it just or.....

My Sil went on her anniversary vacay Wednesday - Friday. She asked me or another relative to pick up her son from school. I said I would do it if noone else could, but I would be late getting him by about 30 minutes. My kids get out @2:15&2:40. He gets out @2:25, BUT he is in aother town. It only takes about 10 minutes to get there, but I'm not going to go back and forth. Well it turns out noone else is able to pick him up so that leaves me. She asked me if I could watch her dd while she was gone too. No prob she is the same age as my youngest. Well her dd has no idea what a schedule is and is into EVERYTHING!!!!! She won't listen and just does exaclty whatever it is she feels like doing, no matter how many timeouts I give her. Right before she left I was telling her how tight things are financially.
Wouldn't you think she could @ least offer me gas money or give me some food for these children? Is it just me?

scout82

Asked by scout82 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree completely. . .yes you said you could watch them, but they are still her kids and she asked. I would have expected a little compensation. . . just me though.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• sure but she can't read your mind... I'd tell her straight up, "I don't mind keeping your daughter but if you could chip in some gas money I'd really appreciate it because things are really tight for us right now..."
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• no, it is not just u. she should have done both gave u gas money and money for food. i would not ever watch those kids for her again and i would tell her exactly how disrespectful her daughter was!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Whenever we had my sil watch our kids for extended times we always left a bunch of food (cereal, boxed mac & cheese, soup...whatever we had on hand) and usually $50 to cover the cost of the extra food she would have to buy. She always tried to give it back but we had 3 kids added to her 2 kids. It was only fair that we put in for food if she was feeding our kids 3 meals a day for however long they were there.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You definitely have to put all the cards on the table BEFORE accepting the role as babysitter/helper
    I usually ask, if a child will be with me for a sack lunch (if i know money is tight)
    Or a little bit of cash, so I can do what I need to do.
    Next time, lay it out there BEFORE saying yes
    Also you cant help other kids schedules(no naps, likes junk food before eating lunch, always wants to watch tv during bedtime, spoiled to the point of annoyance ;)), thats how THEIR parents are raising them, BUT they do NEED and HAVE to respect you, and if they arent then you need to talk to the parents about that, that goes for any child! *say if your child does not want to behave or play by my rules I wont be able to watch them overnight or for a long period of time anymore*
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010