How old was you baby when you weaned them completely of the bottle. (Bottle fed babies of course)

My son is only eight months old, so I'm not weaning him yet. But he is using a tippy with his meals and snacks. (water) I was just curious when you wean them completely. I thought it was a year, but both my sisters have 2.5 year olds still using bottles and binkies. I think thats way too old as I have a 2.5 year old. But he was breastfed until two.. So this is my first time dealing with bottles.

And yes my son HAS to have a bottle.. So I don't need bashing. I did try breastfeeding as I said my oldest was BF until 2. However my 8 month old has a milk protein allergy and had blood clots in his stool for the first 2 weeks of life, until he got a prescribed formula that he gets monthly from the pharmacy. So please.. No "he should be BF" answers. I don't need to hear it.

Amelia512

Asked by Amelia512 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sweetie, don't defend yourself to the Pro-Breastfeeding ladies. Regardless of your reasoning you're doing what YOU feel is right for your child. That's what's important, not what they believe.

As far as weening my child off of the bottle I took it away shortly after he turned one. I'm slowly introducing the sippy to my daughter, but I can tell it'll be her first birthday before she is off the bottle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I started giving her a sippy cup at about 9 months or so. I would make the formula in the bottle and shake it up then pour it into the cup. On her first birthday, we put some regular milk in a sippy and let her throw away the last can of formula (it had enough for about two-three more bottles). We put her in the high chair, brought the trash can over to her since she couldn't walk yet, gave her the can, and she just tossed it in. Then tossed in two bottles and said "bye-bye baby kiwi. hi-hi big girl kiwi!". It was pretty cute.
    That was it, no problems.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It all depended on the child's temperment.

My eldest was off of the bottle at the age of 10mths old.
    After that, my sons were between 3yrs (he was a year behind) and 15mths
    My youngest was 8mths old when I broke him off the bottle.

If they have more than 10 teeth, try the cuppie that has handles.
    MomtoMichael2

Answer by MomtoMichael2 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Both of my babies drank formula my dd due to the fact I had gotten mastitis and my ds due to allergies. My daughter got weaned off the bottle on her first bday and my son was a little harder but he was off of his at 14 months, your lucky he will already drink out of a sippy with his meals it will make it easier when u do decide to take it away. Good luck when you decide to do it, sounds like your doing great so far.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My little guy didn't drop the bottle until he was over a year old. I had been giving him sippy cups for ages, before one day he finally started using one. Once he started using the cup I got rid of the bottles. I would try to keep trying to stop the use of bottles, start only allowing them at BED, not nap, but bed.... & go from there..... it worked for me. & its worth a try...

as for BF FF its your choice & its sad that you have to stress that......... Sorry.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• He was completely off the bottle at 11 months. He had been having the sippy cup from 7 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I don't have any vote ups or anything.. But I do appreciate the answers. =)
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My son just turned 2 a couple weeks ago and still takes a bottle at nap and bedtime, 4 oz of milk. I have a 10 month old, so it was difficult, to say the least, to get the bottle gone at one year for him. However, my 10 month old is transitioning to those Nubby cups that have nipple like tops, and as soon as he accepts that fully the bottles are all gone. With my infant, I put his fomula in his cup (it's a straw cup, not a sippy tippy one) as soon as I introduced it, so he doesn't think only formula is in a bottle. That way it's not as hard, or so I hope, through this transitioning phase. Anyone who has allowed the bottle to stay this long, between 2 and 2.5, had their reasons. And I see it this way, what's the difference between a bottle and a pacifier, or breast feeding that long. But if you get your LO on a cup, good for you!!!! It's their hardest transition.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010