what can i do? My new born crys if im not holding him!

My son is 3wks old. About 3 days ago he became very restless while sleeping and very cranky during the day. Now he wont stop crying unless im holding him! He thinks he is hungry ALL the time and even feeding him is not comforting him now.

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They are hard wired to cry if you aren't holding him. Get a Moby Wrap if you can and wear him while you do what you have to do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I got a baby carrier. I don't know if this is your first or not, but my carrier came in handy with my second. Also Maybe try a binkey? I know some people are against, but they can be quite handy too. Some babies don't take them tho. My oldest had his until he was 18 months and my second never took it. But its worth a shot. He too little to give anything besides breast milk or formula tho. Also I would invest in a swing! Both my boys LOVED theirs! Good luck, and congrats on the little one!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• He probably has Gas. A lot of babies think they're hungry when infact it's gas bubbles they're feeling rather then hunger rumbles. You can try a slew of different gas remedies to try and help him pass it. I suggest laying him on his back and gently rocking his knees to and from his chest. This helps move and eventually release the gas. Also holing him to your chest with his feet tucked up under him and patting his back can do the same thing. Just not as well. Most would suggest different gas drops, but I wouldn't suggest any chemical product. That's just me though.

Again, most babies become very clingy and as well very restless when they have gas, especially if they can't pass it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I believe that it is you that thinks he's hungry and he can't tell you right now what he needs, so you have to listen to the signs, if you have checked his diaper, he's not hungry, trying rubbing his back it may be gas
    UniqueT

Answer by UniqueT at 3:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I do use gas remedies cause he does have a lot of gas, he already has the binky and spits it out when i put him down, and I try the wrap and its a 50/50 shot wether he will like it or not. This is my 1st child but I work with Infants and never really had this prob. before. I know It's the mommy hormones kicking in but it feels like ive tried everything I can think of and it's not working....
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just hold him mama. They cry for a reason. It will get better. Get a wrap or sling of some sort to make it easier to carry him.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just continue to wear him. He's in the middle of the 3 week growth spurt as well. It will take some time for you to learn to understand his different cries. Try a lot of skin to skin contact too. To many clothes can be uncomfortable.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• we have done skin to skin all day today and yes he does love that. Is it normal for him to dislike the sling in the beginning? Thank you for all your answers
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It's totally okay to hold the baby all 24 hours. Screw the dishes and the laundry. Hold the baby.

Strip him down. Sometimes the clothes are making him miserable. Take off the diaper. Put a towel on you incase he potties. Hold him and keep him warm. The skin contact is very very soothing for them, especially at this early stage.

You can do a "kangaroo" wrap with a moby wrap with a diaper only naked baby and it calms them right down. He is comforted by your smell and your heart beat.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Try a baby swing. It was a life saver in our house.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010