Nursing in public

I have seen so many times people saying "What am I suppose to say to my child about what your doing?" Really what is so hard about simply saying, "She is feeding her baby. Some mommy's feed their babies that way and others use bottles" I just don't understand the dilemma here. Why does this have to be a huge issue.

katrinad

Asked by katrinad at 3:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because people make it a huge issue and so many people think the breast is just a sex object when it's more then that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• People are afraid of what they don't consider normal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Personally, I prefer my kids to see a lady nursing than bottle feeding. I want that to be the norm. I want all breast hidden unless you nurse and then, I would prefer no covers used. LOL That would be ideal all around.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• some people are VERY modest the the risk of seeing a nip slip makes them very uneasy, imo
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I personally haven't ever breastfed.. my kids were bottle fed. And when I happen to see a mother breastfeeding in public.. I do feel a bit uncomfortable at first (just at the sight of a boob).. but it doesn't bother me & Im not against it. If my children seen it.. they would know exactly what was happening..I have explained it to them.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• No idea. Most kids will take what you say at face value and won't question it, so I don't see what the big deal is either.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't get why it is such a huge issue. It is the most natural thing in the world. Our culture has sexualized the breast too much and so people get uncomfortable with nursing, I think.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They are just teaching their children that boobs are for sex, rather than a functional body part.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have no clue. I've been lucky and haven't run into that yet. At first I was uncomfortable trying in public, then I felt stupid for feeling that way and said forget what other people think so long as im not flashing everybody no one has any say.
    Calleighsmommy2

Answer by Calleighsmommy2 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Neither do I. I breast fed two. Now I did use a blanket or something similar to cover up with and it was quite easy. The bonus was I never paid for formula. The downside was trying to wean my son. My daughter was much easier.
    Mamafi

Answer by Mamafi at 3:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010