Understanding Military Lingo. Sorry

Is there a website somewhere out there where it can help be better understand what my fiance is talking about when he talks in "code" as i call it lol! thanks alot. Im sorry Im knew to this whole thing. P.S. Hes in the military i guess i failed to mention that. :D thanks again

SoldiersBay

Asked by SoldiersBay at 3:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My hubby has educated me on it all. And if I don't remember or understand, I just ask. You could google it, you can find anything on Google!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I dont about a website but I'm sure the military wives groups on here will be more then happy to help you.
    What do you need help with translating? My Hubby is in the military as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• lol. . . it gets easier as you go along. . . but mostly the way they speak they kinda learn in boot camp/basic training and their tech and A schools. Your best bet is to learn the Alphabet. . .it is easy really. . . and know Negative is simply NO. . . ;) I know that was an easy one. What branch is your Fiance? Cause it does differ from branch to branch a bit. PM me if you like I can try to help you more. My DH was Navy and I grew up Military so most of it is second nature to me.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 3:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thank you ladies. Its not just one thing i need transtated lol its almost everything and the crazy thing is both my brothers are in the navy but they never fill me in on that kind of thing. My fiance is in the army. thank you guys again
    SoldiersBay

Comment by SoldiersBay (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There are many abbreviations and "rules" about words--but many are very specific to the line of work or branch of military.

My ex fiance was a pilot in the USAF. Some of the things I can recall were: SA--as in "That dude has no SA" SA= Situational Awareness. Basically an obliviot. Another was "so to speak". If you said anything that COULD be turned into a sexual reference, you had to say "so to speak". Like, "What's he wearing on his head, so to speak" as head could equal penis.

Then there's the more basic stuff like PCS, TDY, PX/BX, etc etc.

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Instead of researching it yourself, I think maybe you should ask your DH to educate you. Remind him that you're a civilian. I think it would be neat for him to teach you those things himself. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My hubby is Army. When he was in PLDC, which it's not called that anymore, they had a class for us wives (or husbands) to teach us the abbreviations. I remember most of them, whatcha need to know?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• http://www.4militaryfamilies.com/articles/acronyms.htm

your brothers might not be able to help you much because the different branches have their own list of acronyms and slang.
    :) don't worry, you'll get used to it after awhile...
    2 big things you want to know about wherever you get stationed:
    1. ACS (Army community Service)- they offer relocation assistance, classes, counseling, even mommy support groups... Look them up wherever you get stationed and they will hook you up with whatever you need.
    2. FRG (Family Readiness Group)- each unit should have an FRG that is there to inform you of what's going on in the unit that is pertinent to family members... they are especially important during deployments... Honestly, some groups are better than others but its a resource.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010