Would you deny a woman on Medicaid an epidural to save the state money?

Ever heard of an elective epidural?

It's one thing a Utah lawmaker says needs to be taken away from pregnant women with Medicaid in order to help balance the state budget.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Only a man would come up with that.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Depends, can we make painkillers optional for men passing kidney stones too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• No, because the nursing staff doesn't need to deal with a screaming freak trying to deliver a baby. Not everyone is into Natural childbirth.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Maybe that Utah lawmaker should so through a demonstration on what it's like to be in labor and push a watermelon out of a gold hole
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• that is fucked up
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I tell you what I will do without my epidural if I can rap your nutsack around the hitch of a semi and floor it. Oh you say I can have my epidural well I thought you'd see it my way. Don't *uck with a laboring momma.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had 3 births with no epidurls, one I was in labor for 2 days and one was induced. I also passed a kidney stone with no pain meds.

Just because Medicaid doesn't pay for it doesn't mean you can't have it. You just have to save up your $3000 or whatever is charged. That would be incentive to take childbirth classes or use a doula. Medicaid could start paying $500 for doulas and that would help the women since they aren't having epidurals and it would decrease c-section rates and increase breastfeeding rates.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Ummm NO!!!!!! thats pretty crappy. Why is that lawmakers cant do common sense things to save money...like close up welfare loop holes and buy their own soda's? Why Do they always seem to screw those that are the most defenseless and in real NEED? Thats insane! Bet his happy butt isnt reelected! If I was running against him that would be the ONLY thing I would run in ads...over and over...
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• HELL NO! I've been through 2 natural births and the hurt like hell why would I force another mom to go through that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Seriously? They've really put this up on the table? Really? I am just about speechless. That really angers me. So, if a woman is poor, she should suffer in more pain just because of it..for the sake of saving the state some money?
    Thats just stupid in my opinion.STUPID.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010