Can I switch my daughter's class because I don't like her teacher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

• Why don't you like the teacher?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If your daughter has other teacher options and there is a general concern of why you think the teacher would be a problem between you two..i don't see why not. .My mom and my sister do it and my sister is a Junior in High School this year.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 3:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would say it depends on why you hate the teacher. Is she verbally or physically abusive to the point where the higher ups need to have a meeting with her? Or is she just snarky and gives lots of homework....know what I mean? My first grade teacher was a real bitch but the board couldnt just switch me. In fact my mom straightened her out one morning before school was in session and since then she was nice to me LOL.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Ask the school and see what they say. I don't see why not....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• not at our school. teaching moment for the parents too I guess.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i think so...just talk to the principal
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 3:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You can do anything your paying that school weather it be with tuition or your taxes. but do it soon cause the longer you wait the harder it will be....and don't let the staff bully you, stand your ground and if they don't comply go to the superintendent or the board of education. I had this problem and bacause I didnt follow my gut and I let the principle bully me into keeping my son in the class he had an absoluty horrible year and no if I complained the teacher just got nasier with him.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• That's up to the school. My son went to 1st grade and didn't like the teacher because she knocked kids out of their desk chairs by hitting them in the head with a rolled up magazine. He didn't like seeing this done to other kids and would "rather get eaten by an alligator" than go to school. He had recently been to his grandmother's in FL and seen an alligator up close.

I went to school and stood out in the hall and observed the teacher knocking kids out of their chair as my son described. I went to the principal and she said in IN the teacher can use any force she wants and that my son was in an honors class and couldn't be moved. I talked to the teacher and she told me I was a poor, single mother and there was nothing I could do about it. I withdrew my son, got the teacher fired and the principal fired.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If your daughter doesn't like her either, I'd say go for it. But it's your daughter's teacher so it should be her choice.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 3:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• that depends - at this point in many districts class sizes are maxed out and teachers all over the country are being laid off or fired - there may not be a space in another classroom for your child, and if it's a high school or middle school situation - changing a teacher may mean a complete change in schedule for your child which may inconvenience up to 7 or 8 other classes. I don't know your reasons for wanting a change, but I can only offer you the perspective from the other side of the desk. Maybe you and your child can find a way to work with this person. It can be a good learning experience for your child that you can deal with people you don't necessarily like.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010