What do I do??

My son is 9 and a half months old...about 28 inches long and weighs 24 lbs, yes hes big for his age. My concern is that he seems lazy, funny, but has also got me wondering why he won't get his butt moving. He tries to go for toys out of his reach but ends up getting his leg stuck under him and he falls, he doesnt cry, but gets frustrated because he cant get the toy. thats as close as he gets to crawling.When we bring him to play with other babies, hes sitting there playing on the floor and the kids are walking around him. When he was younger and a toy would be out of his reach he would cry and I would feel bad and get it for him. The same with the bottle, he wont hold it, and I know he can, I've seem him lift toys that are 3 times the weight of a full bottle, but he makes me hold it.

TristansMom1222

Asked by TristansMom1222 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think he has just adapted to you doing things for him. He gets frustrated and you get the toy, he doesn't want to hold the bottle so you do..... you have to just let him get mad and get frustrated and learn to do things on his own or he'll never be an independent individual. It's part of life for babies to learn trial and error... okay if i let this bottle go, I have to then pick it back up if I want it again....or if i want that toy, only i can get it. -Sincerely Cyndi "D
    SuperbowlBoys

Answer by SuperbowlBoys at 6:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Don't stress over him not crawling. Some babies never crawl, just go from sitting/scooting to walking. I think this is more common in bigger babies, as they have more weight to coordinate than littler babies. He'll figure it out on his own eventually. Does he have or like a walker? Or one of the saucers you can put kids in a standing position? This might help him build the muscles in his legs and get him used to the upright position of walking. My daughter crawled all of about 2 weeks, then just got up and walked! She hasn't slowed down since - and that was 9 years ago! LOL
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 7:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• girl dont get stressed my 18 month old was the same way and he was a chunky monkey. SERIOUSLY! you just have to work wit him on it, coach him, and congrat him when he does something for himself. i spent alot of time being frustrated wit my lil man and its not worth it. you will wear yourself out wit a quickness. definately try the walker for his leg stregnth. my lil man was a big boy he weighted 22lbs at 4 month, i put him in a walker around six months and he crawled about a month later, but he still tries to get me to hold his sippy for him.
    kstarr87

Answer by kstarr87 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Let him "walk" with you holding his hands, and don't do too much for him.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 6:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2008