Taking a test for a job as a personal care assistant tomorrow ... what should I expect ?

I filled out the application and was going to do the test but my daughter was being cranky so the woman said to just come back tomorrow. I feel like I know whatever I will need to know ... but it was so many pages. I'm in college right now and never feel this stressed out about tests at school - and I get all A's. This is just nerve wracking bc I really need a job. I am so worried that I am not going to do good enough on it and not get the job. So I'm wondering what I should know, besides the obvious, about how to care for the elderly. I know that I'm going to need to know the average pulse, how to turn them, how often, etc. But does anyone have any advice to give me about working with the elderly that I can use tomorrow and for the future? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• U need to be able to stay calm during an emergency and take the correct steps in the correct order. There is alot to know!! R u sure u r prepared?? Good Luck!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• When caring for another person who may not be able to clearly communicate their wants and needs, an important skill/trait I would want in a personal care assistant, would be anticipating the needs and wants of the person, understanding their reasons for their needs and wants, being compassionate and not patronizing, and being personable not "robotic."  I would also seek someone who is VERY patient, discrete, and able to multi-task, handle the "less desirable" aspects of the job, as well as being calm in emergency situations!

It's one thing to know WHAT to do, it's another to be able to IMPLEMENT what you know effectively, efficiently, and professionally!

I would work in and stress how FABULOUS you are at all of the above, citing applicable or similar examples and how that would help in your position.

Good luck!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't know specifically what will be on the test, but I do know if you can't calm down, you won't be able to pass because you'll freeze up. Take several deep breathes before you take the test and try to clear your head. Tell yourself you can do it, you know the answers.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010