If you just don't eat, will you eventually lose weight?

I have a friend who doesn't eat, but around 600-800 calories a day. I have told her that her body is going to go into starvation mode and will hold on to her weight if she doesn't eat enough. She tells me that the weight will eventually start to fall off. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• well yes, to an extent, but you are right, her body will go into starvation mode after a while and hold onto everything
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes, she will eventually start losing weight, but it won't be just fat...she'll lose muscle mass too and she'll wind up a scraggly scarecrow most likely. She needs to eat more--she can cut her calories to the rate at which her body will begin to burn excess stores of fat without sacrificing her health. What she's doing is dangerous.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Although I'm not a doctor, I'm fairly certain that if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight- Though I am not recommending 600 - 800 calories a day.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• it's called anorexia it's a serious eating disorder. not to mention just plain stupid to do that!

yes you are right though, her body will start to store anything she eats - "starvation mode" as you called it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• she probebly will but its the wrong way to do it, and when she starts eating properly again she may gain it all back if not more.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• She will eventually lose weight, yes. But in a very unhealthy way manner. She will also develop vitimin deficiencies. Her immune system will be comprimised as well as all of her organs. There are a lot of health risks involved with not eating or eating very little in a days time. She may lose weight eventually, but she's also slowly killing her body.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes, as well as muscle mass
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• actually your body goes into starvation mode where it stores up more fat for the long haul. You actually should eat 4-5 times a day (watching your caloric intake) to lose weight.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yes. It's true, but she will BALLOON back to her old weight once she stops doing this. Her body will burn her fat for energy in order to survive. But, her metabolism will slow down so much, that she might ruin her metabolism permanently. As soon as she starts eating a regular diet, her metabolism will be so low, that she will gain back every calorie she eats. It's an extremely stupid, unsafe way to diet. You can also kill brain cells when eating next to nothing. Girls who have been anorexic for years, have brain damage. If we're not getting adequate vitamins, calories & minerals to survive, our bodies will start to break down & the mind is one of the first things to go. She is an idiot, Just go for a friggen walk & cut back on junk. I don't understand the need to ruin your body & mind to try & lose some weight.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Every single day our bodies need a certain amount of vitamins and calories etc etc. If your body is not getting these for long enough then it will begin to break down and simply stop working properly. Not eating properly causes a lot of issues, some of which have nothing to do with weight. I always cringe when I hear of people doing a calorie diet that is way to low or doing the no eating at all diet. We need food to survive and without enough of it our bodies will simply begin eating itself. As one posted stated it will start eating muscle mass and everything else. The road your friend is on is a dangerous one , she is obviously not well educated on how to properly diet.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010