What are signs that my 20 month old son could have pneumonia??

I can feel a rattle in his back but I don't know if that means he does have pneumonia? He had allergy symptoms for over a week and then now has an awful snotty/congested cough :/ I will prob be taking him into the dr tomorrow if its like this tonight.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may just be congested but you never know with babies. Does he have a fever? It is more likely pneumonia if he has a fever. I'd take him to the dr. if he has been coughing for a week.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I just had pneumonia in June. I thought it was the flu so I kind of shrugged it off. My mother insisted I went to urgent care to get checked out. I'm glad I did!
    I have fever, vomitting, chills, aches...all associated w/the flu. I also had a cough.
    Best to have him checked out. Hopefully it's not pneumonia!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• the big one is the barking dog caugh that has no production. and the rattle probably isnt a sign of pneumonia. what they listen for is a high pitched wheeze. high pitched meens fluid is deep in the lungs, growly meens its in the throat.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Probably will lose his appetite altogether at some point, a type of wheezing and difficulty breathing. stuffed up nose, possibly a cough could develop at some point, fever, congestion, etc.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010