Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of anti-teacher sentiment on here today?

As with any profession, not everyone is perfect, but it seems today that there is a lot of teacher bashing going on. I work with dedicated professionals who are by no means perfect people, but spend many hours both inside and outside of the school day contract and the school year (including the "summers off") preparing for, designing lessons to engage, and assessing your children in our subject areas. We also deal with the many social issues and baggage these students bring with them on a daily basis. I'm just disturbed by the lack of support I'm seeing today for those of us who are truly dedicated to our profession. It's not just a job and paycheck for many of us - it is a calling.

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

• You go girl, and I'm backing you. As a teacher myself, I too have to deal with students who bring problems from home to school. It is more than a paycheck. Oh what we wish we could tell. We deal with a whole lot from students especially parents.Early in my career, I would get nervous when I made phone calls home to talk to parents. I would get worried about parents' reactions and my ability to effectively communicate the message I wanted to convey. Most phone calls went fairly well, while most did not, and as I gained more teaching experience, I felt much more comfortable making such calls.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• There seems to be a lot of anti-everything sentiment today. Bunch o' crazy bitches up in here right now, lol. It's been a crabby day at the cafe.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't get this "bitter old teachers" thing. Some of the best teachers who my kids really liked were over the age of 60. They are more mellow and more kind and generous than some of the new teachers who are just coming out of college with an attitude....they need to learn that they are not always right and learn to be a teacher---on the job. Do I see a little prejuduce against age here?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I hadn't noticed, Im sorry... Its not right to base all teachers as one... every person is different, as is each teacher. I have had many teachers through out my life that were wonderful teachers. Ive been out of school for years & a still keep in touch with a few. & of course on the other side of the coin, there are teachers who are major jerks, & dont really care about the students, its just work to them..

But many mother. parents feel as if the teacher doesn't care & thats not right... If there are problems its not always with the teacher, & you have to ask your self, what is my child doing to make ______ harder, or why is he not listening, & what as a parent can I do to help this....

*hugs* to you for teaching. Its something I would love to do, but know deep down I cant, or i'd be bald within a week. Good job for standing up for you self & fellow teachers.... Have a GREAT School year.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yeah some ladies seem a little bitchy today...lol..... cafe can get a little crazy!!! I jus brush it off and keep on ticking...some ppl are sooo unHappy...but i dont let no one steal my JOY :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 4:06 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i'm sorry that it came out that way but unfortunatly it was the comminality between the awful techers that I have had to deal with. I mean all teachers are different and in different areas theres even more difference. I have a great deal of respect for great teachers and I'm sorry that the teachers I had a bad experience with were older. it may have just been a coincidence. I was actually excited when my sons kindergarten teacher was an experienced teacher... thought she would know what she was doing but instead it was chaos....My son is by no means a bad child....he's extremly sweet and ive been told that over and over again....he just gets bored....and when i tried to work with these teachers to help my son it was just a mess cause they didnt think i should have been involved....
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I had not noticed. As a teacher...I deal with a lot of things that many parents do not know about. My biggest complaint is lack of parental involvement. If your child is failing and I call you ..please call me back! Do not wait till the end of the year and complain.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Haven't noticed but I will bump ya
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Full Moon fever... it should subside in two days! LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I havcen't noticed it lately but I do see a lot of anti-education replies . Too many kids ...and adults...who say they would rather drop out and that college is waste of time. Pathetic.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010