How does the Girls Scouts work?Do moms stick around or just drop them off?

Daughter just joined the Girls Scouts, so I do not know how does it work, I know they work with volunteers, since I can't volunteer, is it OK to stay during the meeting?

Anzures

Asked by Anzures at 6:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask the troop leader if she was ok with you sticking around. My parents always just dropped us off, and picked us up when the meeting was over.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 6:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I was in Girl Scouts for several years. There was usually a troop leader and one or two other moms who helped out. If you are able to be there during the entire meeting, the leader might be grateful for a little help. It could be just handing out something, or helping serve a snack. Volunteers don't always have to use their time at home. like preparing things. Sometimes just being there is a great help. And you might find that its great fun.
    penny4j

Answer by penny4j at 7:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Check with the leader. I am a leader and I have a couple of mom's who stick around, but I wish that they wouldn't because they try to run the meeting. Also sometimes kids won't participate with their mom's there.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes I say if the Troop Leader has some things to go over. Usually I just leave though. She's in a small troop (about 8 kids and 2 helpers as well as the leader).
    1xmom68

Answer by 1xmom68 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• This is my 6th year as a leader and I've always had parents drop off their daughters, even in Daisy's. It's just easier to get their attention that way, and to keep their behavior in check. Of course, not all leaders agree with that so check with your daughter's. Individual troops are pretty much self-governing, so what happens in one troop can be completely different than what happens in another.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 5:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It's her turn to have her "own thing" outside of home and school. She's safe. Just drop her off and enjoy your hour or so of free time.
    honestly930

Answer by honestly930 at 7:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My girls are in scouts this year (Daisies and Brownies). They meet right after school so the teacher takes them down to the basement where the leaders are and we pick them up at 3:30-4pm (depending on when the meeting is over).
    When my oldest did Brownies in 1st grade a few years ago a lot of the moms would stay because they were afraid to leave their 6yos alone. Then someone from the GSA came to evaluate the leader and the next meeting we got a note saying that parents were no longer allowed to hang around because of GSA rules.
    Well, we were still allowed to stay in the building if we wanted but not in the room the girls were having their meeting in.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2008