Why ask them to NOT bring their signs to a rally?

Beck is known for his strong opinions, including his statement that President Barack Obama is a racist; he later told CBS' Katie Couric that he was "sorry the way it was phrased."

But organizers of Saturday's rally are telling attendees not to bring signs, "as they may deter from the peaceful message we are bringing to Washington."

Signs at some tea party events have included pictures of Obama embellished with a Hitler-style mustache, racial epithets and threats to Democratic officials. Such posters have given tea party critics grounds to claim the loose organization of activists is motivated by racism against the nation's first black president.

"Dr. King never had to ask anyone to leave their signs and guns at home," said Benjamin Todd Jealous, president of the NAACP. "To say to your followers, don't bring your signs — it's like saying don't open your mouth."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is for people who wish to return to the honor of our forefathers

Examples please.

Still waiting on the answer to what freedoms you have lost.

Sound like a lot of talking points to me.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Soprano,
    My point is Beck could care less what they say about him or his activities. The only way anyone knows what this is about is to have watched his show, listened to his radio show or read his website. Still people who hate Beck and the malicious media have and will continue to come out with it's this that and another and try and make it into something it isn't well after it is over.
    This is for people who wish to return to the honor of our forefathers. It's for people to look inward. Yes it is a bit hokey but it's not political. It's not laughable and it isn't about Democrats or Republicans.
    I think if a few more people would look inward we would all be in a better place.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Um, correct me if I am wrong, but haven't pretty much all modern day Presidents been compared to Hitler at one time or another? Obama is hardly different in that arena. I don't agree with posters or pictures depicting anyone but Hitler as Hitler, but let's not pretend that Obama has been the only one attacked like this.

As to why they don't want signs, I wouldn't know, but I am willing to take them at their words:  "as they may deter from the peaceful message we are bringing to Washington."

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• IMO if you don't know what freedoms have been lost you didn't deserve them to begin with. I like the no sign idea.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well said itsmesteph.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• mommom2000: the freedoms lost are simple. If you are white, Christian, and conservative, you have lost your freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and the 8-28 rally, they tried to restrict the freedom of assembly when they tried to deny a permit to gather at the Lincoln Memorial. Proof you say. Well, go back to the numerous posts on CM where white Christians and white conservatives are called bigots, racists, homophobes, Islamaphobes, and all other kinds of names just for having conservative Christian opinions and being white. There have been people threatened with arrest for praying on the street in D.C. The Boy Scouts were asked to leave the Mall for singing the National Anthem. Our pres. canceled the National Day of Prayer; however, the Muslims had a National Day of Prayer. It is subversive and under the radar, but it is there.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Because it is not a political rally. There is no need for signs at this rally
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I know exactly why. I haven't been watching his show lately but it makes sense to me. During the healthcare debate the tea party held many rallies. Suddenly all these signs with racist sentiments began popping up. It was alleged these were tea party opponents in the crowd trying to paint them as racist. (I believe there was at least one proven to be anti tea party but i'm not positive on that) That is the reason for no signs..or at least one of them.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You're right Steph.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I will be in D. C. on Sat. I am not taking my sign from last 9-11 as I planned. I understand why. It is peaceful. It is to show that a group can gather, make a point, and do it effectively with signs that, though clever and some quite funny, are meant to drive a point home. No sarcasm that the signs usually have. Just peaceful discussions with numbers. It will be the large number of people that show up that makes the point. We won't need to actually scream. The point will be clear.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010