at what age do you think it is apporiate to start time outs?

frog643

Asked by frog643 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think starting at age 1, if they do something wrong...just make them sit in time out for 1 minute....maybe if you do this terrible twos wont be so bad lol
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It depends. I think when your child is able to fully understand when something is right and wrong. I would say at earliest I started time outs at MAYBE 18 months. Rule of thumb being, time out 1 minute for each year. (90 seconds for an 18 month old) followed by an explanation. If they are too young, redirection is probably better. (in my opinion)
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I didn't start time out until my kids were 1 year old, and only then it was for a few seconds. Now that they're older I use the time=age addition in which they are in time out for 1 minute per each year they are old.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 4:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I started at 18 months. She knew what she was and wasn't supposed to do.

I think it depends on the maturity and understanding of each child so it varies.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i would say about 18 months for just 1min....
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 4:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• with dd I started at about 18 months, with my son I started at like 14 months, it was much easier with him, and he totally understood it. I think it is easier to start early, but maybe that is just how it was in my situation with my kids.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Depends on the kid. I could do it with my son at a year.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I started at a year, but time outs only lasted a minute at the most, and a lot of the time gentle ignoring for a few seconds was really enough to make my point. But for biting or hitting it is time out territory in my house. Not coming when called, etc, usually gets you ignored (I turn away and avoid eye contact, no responses, etc) until there is compliance. So far , so good, and my DD will be two soon.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Around a year. But it depends on the kid.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• As early as they need to be started. My daughter is nine months old and is already starting to push buttons. Actually litterally, she likes to turn off the TV and press all of the buttons. But figuratively as well, because she likes to follow in the path her brother started. My son is a lot calmer now and doesn't tend to get into much trouble now, but my daughter is doing everything he used to do. Well, to her little 9 month old ability. So if she deserves a time out she's going to get one. Whereas my son didn't start getting time outs until he turned one.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010