Tae Kwon Do or dance?

i have a 6 year old who wants to do dance and I would really like to see her in Tae Kwon Do?
Its a Time and money thing that is the problem.

but between Tae kwon Do, karata or DAnce

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 4:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Dance at that age is A) extremely expensive B) painful to sit through recitals C) has virtually zero actual skill set to offer. It's cute, yes, but sweet Jesus on toast it's a PITA.

I would vote for the martial arts classes. Teaches discipline. The whole family can take classes together (my friend does this!!). It's not expensive (only one outfit and belts as you progress) and there's no damned recital where you have to see a 6YO child with heavy makeup and a 200 dollar one use only costume on! LOL
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would let her pick which one she wants to do.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I say let her choose.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We signed our kids up for martial arts at the end of May, and three weeks ago my husband and I started taking the adult classes, too. It's fun, it's good exercise, and it teaches self defense. I think it's especially important for girls/women to know how to defend themselves. It's also a great confidence booster. And down the road, it may be easier to learn dance if she's already been taking classes where she has learned to follow moves and specific routines.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Unfortunately, you can't force a child into something he or she doesn't want to do...But Tae Kwon Do is really more beneficial, not to mention cheaper. It teaches self-defense and helps to instill confidence...Dance is really all about show, make-up, and costumes. Besides the physical benefit, there's really nothing else there.
    StephenieBryant

Answer by StephenieBryant at 5:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Let your child be in the class that SHE wants to be in. You're not taking these classes for her, it's not your happiness that is weighing on these classes, it's hers. Why would you force her into a class that she doesn't want to be in? Let her choose for herself, since it's something that she's going to enjoy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree let her be in the class she wants. She will enjoy it more. We did just recently put our son in martial arts for the benefits of confidence, respect and overall life skills and how to deal with things without it turning into something it shouldn't. Definately let her choose. She will enjoy it more and look forward to going.
    sonsmom

Answer by sonsmom at 8:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010