Positive reinforcement or punishment?

So my little boy is 7 and has always (K, 1st) had a problem with talking in class. Its only the third day of school and I realize he is excited.....and seven, but whats the best advice you can curb unwanted behavior in class?
thanks

readytogetgoing

Asked by readytogetgoing at 4:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tough one. Has the teacher provided any suggestions?

I would let him know that it's not appropriate to speak out of turn in the classroom and practice the same tactics at home. Do it at home for a while, just so he gets used to it and improves in school.

And then lighten up at home as you don't want him to feel like everything, especially his own home, is a scholastic environment where may feel restricted to be himself.
    Denise2000

Answer by Denise2000 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i would try the positive reinforcment first. explain to him why he shouldnt be talking in class when hes not supposed too, and tell him that every week that he does good all week, he can get a candy bar or a little toy or whatever is something he really likes ...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I believe in positive reinforcement as well as punishment for a continuted offence. Praising him for being quite is good as well as a reward system like if he doesn't get into trouble for 5 days he gets a special prize.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think it's a combination. It would be awesome if we could all avoid mistakes by just keeping the goal at the end of the race in mind, but think of how we are even as grown-ups. Most of us have to experience a consequence for our actions before we start shaping up.

If it were my child, I would probably try PURPULbutterfly's tactic first though. :)
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have a 9th grader that can't learn that lesson...*sigh*. I wish I knew.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• thanks all I'll keep ya posted on my progress....fingers crossed
    readytogetgoing

Comment by readytogetgoing (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010