Weaning

I really need to get my son weaned, he is almost 1 1/2 and I think its time. I really dont want this to be too harsh on him, and have been working on it for a while, to slowly wean him, but I promised my husband that he would be weaned by 1 1/2 ( he doesnt think its right at his age) and I do know that a lot of people think they should nurse however long they want, but its just not for us, Im ready for it to be done to. So its not going to happen by 1 1/2 but it needs to happen soon. Some days he hardly nurses, like once a day, others like this past week its like 4-6 times a day, and always at least three times at night. (which any advice on getting him to sleep all night would be greatly apreciated too!) I try to distract him with snacks, projects, going out side whatever, but he is determined. Is there any advice anyone can give me?

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 4:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow i cant believe he still gets up to eat in the middle of the night. do you feed this kid food during the day? why dont you switch him to cows milk, that should fill him up and make him happy..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If he is rarely nursing thru the day, start with that. Do not give in. If it's only 1 time a day, he's doing it for comfort and not for nourishment. As for the night feedings, I feel the same, it's for comfort and not for nourishment at this point.

Rather than you getting up with him each time, daddy needs to get up so that he understands that this is not mommy/baby time, it's sleep time. Also, with you always going in, you give in and nurse to quiet him. He needs to learn how to soothe without latching on and that's where daddy comes in. He cannot nurse on daddy and daddy can't give in.

At night, if he nurses 5 times, cut one of those times out and soothe in other ways but not with breast. Offer him a sippy of regular milk instead or rocking...Then once you get to that point where he doesn't fuss to nurse, cut out another session of nursing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010