I think there should be a birth control that last for 5 years or so..that can be taken before you have children

I got pregnant when i was 17 and i dont want my daughter to get pregnant young. Is there a birth control that can last for a few years.. like some kind of iud or something you could have your teenage daughter have? and if ther is..would you consider having your teen daughter have it

Brittney20

Asked by Brittney20 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• The Mirena IUD is good for 5 years. Your daughter would have to agree to it before they would place it. You do not have to have had children in order to get it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think something like Norplant or an IUD would last that long. I personally wouldn't want my teenage daughter on something that she couldn't get out of her system quickly if she needed to. We have a horrible history of blood clots in our family and hormonal stuff can be really dangerous. I'm glad I have boys because I worry about blood clotting. That being said, I think it's very important to teach both girls and boys about birth control options. As a teenager, I was so paranoid about getting pregnant that I always used two forms of birth control.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I thought you did have to have a baby before they would do that. I had it but had alot of problems with it, but went to another doctor about my problems and found out it wasnt inserted properly soo
    thanks ginger
    Brittney20

Comment by Brittney20 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yep..I was going to say the Mirena too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Implanon. You can use it before kids, goes in your inner upper arm, lasts for 3 years. I've had it for over a year now. Some period irregularities, but nothing major. A good friend of mine was a teen mom, and her 15 year old daughter snuck out meet a guy a couple of months ago (she was caught before she made it out of the yard,... no guarentee it wasn't the first time or the last for that matter). She had her on implanon before the week was over. She has had no issues with it either.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Exactly Mirena lasts five years. I think Paraguard lasts 10.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• And just FYI.... you generally cannot get an IUD or Mirena until after you have had a baby.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yeah, she can get an IUD if she agrees to it. But, no, I would not recommend or force my child to take any type of birth-control. I would rather they were teen parents. Hormonal BC can cause long term damage and prevent them from having the ability to concieve later on in life. I made the mistake of starting on a "mini-pill" and I almost bled to death... Far from a fate I want for my kids...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Also with an IUD or something like that, I would make sure to really stress the importance of also using condoms, since you can still get STDs.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• IUD only work AFTER you have had at least one child. Sorry. That won't work for your daughter.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010