Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this legal? I need a lawyer's advice!

Our bank accounts were frozen by a lawyer posing as a collection agency to the bank. When I asked about why I haven't received any notice, he told me I was served at an address I hadn't lived at for 2 years! They handed my SSN, my ACCOUNT # to a CC, my names, and ALL my contact info to a woman who is my opposite in every way! Then they told me it was MY fault for not living there or getting the papers from this woman I DON"T KNOW! I was FORCED to pay them 90% of what I had in the bank and my husband promised them $110 a month, which is MORE than we can afford. I did NOT approve this, nor were we given an option other than have our bank accounts frozen again. This lawyer also claims that if we're late or fail to pay the full amount, he will freeze our accounts, and go after the full amount I originally owed, WITHOUT deducting what we would have already paid!

Answer Question

Asked by eirejade at 6:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 9 (307 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • hmm sounds like its a hacker..Call your bank asap!!!!

    Answer by yazmink at 6:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

  • I would do one better, and call your local law enforcement agency!

    Answer by xrussianbabe02 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

  • If he already lied to you once what says he isn't lying about being a lawyer. Personally I would get hold of my bank and let them know whats going on and see what they say about all of this. It sounds to me like someones getting a bunch of free money for nothing. And when someone is served papers they don't give it to just anyone. They give it to you personally or to a family member that's living in your same house hold. They ask for the person by name and if they say ya he/she lives here than BAM your served...I hate to say I have ALOT of bill collectors after me and never has this happened. Unless it has something to do with the state or government then they really cant come after you like this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

  • The only people that can freeze your accounts is the IRS and a court order from a judge...better get the police involved quickly.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.