Would you buy them?

My Dh and I are very money conscience. We try not to spend too much per month, that way we can continue saving. We're a young couple with college debt already, so it keeps us on top of things. Well, I'm going back to work after having my baby, and thought that it'd be nice to get some jeans (the uniform) and shoes. Well, I had a problem with my shoe order and wasn't able to get them! So, I decided to look at boots instead and I fell in love with some winter and some rain boots. I can't choose between them!
The problem is, the shoes I was wanting to get were only $10 (on sale) and these boots are $20 each (also on sale). I just don't know if I can spend that much money. Dh asked me after I ordered the shoes to stop spending money right now... but I'm afraid if I don't order them now, the sale will end.. and I won't ever get them!

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Shopping

• I'll make the suggestion that you should buy something very inexpensive, that will work for now. Even if you do not like it. Later, after a few paychecks have come in, you can buy something to replace, or augment your wardrobe. It's very simple. Set aside $5-10 a paycheck until you have enough to pay for them.!

$40 may not seem like much to ***some***, but every dollar counts when you are trying to bring your net worth back up to zero.... It is the "live a little" mentality that gets people in debt to begin with.

Keep to your budget, and only buy what is absolutely necessary.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You will never get shoes or boots for that price. Just get them!!!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Omg! My heart goes out to you!

We are on a super strict budget now too for the same reasons- college debt! I'm talking super strict- Like no clothes, no eating out, no fun, NOTHING! It's driving me bonkers, but anyway!

As painful as it is for me to suggest this, I say don't buy them. :( Respect what your dear has asked of you and just accept that the sale might end. There will be another pair of boots that will capture your heart- And who knows, maybe for cheaper! But the bottom line is that you will have stuck with your budget and get out of your debt faster.

Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• $40 is a lot of money to a lot of people, including me. That being said...if you are going to need the rain/winter boots for your job I would get them now. They are on sale because it's winter. Come fall the prices are going to double. SO, you are saving money and shopping smart by purchasing them now,
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• if you can afford to buy them on sale now, its better to do so now. Than  do as Dh asks and stop yourself from buying anything else.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Well, boots are usually made sturdier than shoes so the cost is relevant. If you need them, then you need them. I would probably just do the winter boots and waterproof them yourself. I have never had much use for rain boots.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• get the bootz you love and fit best (a good boot will last)...so funny "each" does that mean 40 dollars~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 4:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• are you really that worried about spending 40 dollars?? thats nothing! you need to live a little girl! get both yours boots. you only live once!
    im more then 10,000 in credit card debt and still taking out student loans but i still buy myself some new clothes and shoes sometimes. plus you wont have to pay back your student loans right away so why are you that worried about them..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I mean summer...LOL :)
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Sounds like you don't need them, which means you shouldn't buy them.
    You complimented yourself on being money conscious, yet you're debating over a purchase that you don't need.
    I think you know that you shouldn't buy them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010