Babysitting a boy who has down syndrome... & came across a problem today.

I started watching a 13 year old boy with DS ( after school for an hour) as a favor to his mom ( good friends with my aunt) . He is a big boy but she says he has the mindset of a 5-6 year old. The first few days were great, he would just sit and play Barbies with my 4 year old daughter - no problem. But today my DD was playing dress up ( putting dresses over her clothes) & he said " take it off so everyone can see your underwear" , and then he kept trying to put her on his lap, and would get mad when she would not, and was getting annoyed by her not listening to him. He also kept calling her sweetie and trying to make her go play with him in the other room ( I wasnt leaving them alone though ) . I just dont know what I can do in this kind of situation ( besides keep my daughter away from him ), I dont know what to do if he is angry ( his mom said he doesnt get that way... but he obviously does )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• thats weird. you should tell his mom about that...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Definitely talk it over with his mom asap. Ask tons of questions and find out how this should be handled and if it will be an ongoing problem. You might have to reconsider helping her. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• that would also worry me..i would def talk to his mother and tell her what you have seen and heard..something here sounds too weird..maybe there is more to this story as to why hes actin this way?
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes, I would let the mother know what was said & definitely not leave your daughter alone w/him at all. Scary!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It is a KNOWN issue with downs that there are very few (if any) sexual boundaries. DO NOT leave them alone. PERIOD.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would def. call his parents
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Tell him your rules just like anyone else and have a talk with his mom and just let her know what happened. She needs to correct this behaviour too.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I suggest that you do a little research on the topic. I have a good friend who is a special ed teacher (as been for 20 years), and I have spent excessive time volunteering in her classroom, and for events (she heads up the softball team, special olympics, and several other events), and it is a problem frequently encountered.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have had some experience dealing w/ kids w/ all sorts of disabilities include Downs. Although his mental age maybe that of a 5 y/o, his body will still experience the changes of puberty. Talk to his mother asap & tell her of your concerns, both the sexual & behavioral ones. Your #1 priority is protecting your child. She can help you work out a solution, or she will have to find a diferent daycare person.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• since she doesnt beleive you maybe 1 day ask her to stay a lil while and have lunch or dinner or whatever at he time she picks him up and then let her see him do it he might not understand what he is doing but he is doing it or maybe he saw someone do that maybe youi can tell him she not aloud to sit on anyones lap or tell him thats big boy play and she is a lil girl so she cant play like that after whatever happens you might wind up telling his mom that you cant watch him no more
    jaes347

Answer by jaes347 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010