How can I ask my husband for a day off?

I'm a SAHM and my husband works and goes to school full-time. He has only taken our 8 month old son once and given me a day off. How do I ask for some time to myself without him getting offended and upset?

mpsmom1209

Asked by mpsmom1209 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Pretend like you're sick... HA! Not really.

I want to know the answer to this though because I would love a day off for myself as well! Just got to figure out the right way to ask!
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't ask....you are an adult. Just like he needs time away (that doesn't include work or school), so do you. Give yourself a day and time that he isn't at work or school & let him know that you need him to watch your guys' child because you are doing ..........fill in the blanks. If he does have an issue I would just tell him. Honesty is best. Tell him that you're home 24/7 & some away time would relax & refresh you.
    Have fun!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• tell him you need some time to yourself or your going to go completely insane. u need to look him straight in the eye so he knows u are serious.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just tell him that you require a mommy day every week. Just as he gets time off, so do you. You are providing a service by raising your child just as he makes money and goes to school.

You should have to request it. You tell him that on whatever day, you are going to go "here" and he will need to watch the baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Tell him that you are going out. Don't ask!! Just go have a cup of coffee with a friend.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• View Image

just ask him with a little help from the pin!

good luck!

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You just tell him you need some "you" time.
    Let him know that, even though you know he works hard, he has a lot on his plate, so do you. And in order to maintain a balanced level of sanity (lol) you need some time just for you. That in order to be the best wife and mother you can be. You need to be the best YOU that you can be. That means being: happy & healthy, not just physically but emotionally and mentally as well. And that you would rather have a brief few hours to yourself no and then, instead of getting stressed out/burnt out/tired/and developing resentments due to those things.

Keep in mind though.. He works & goes to school full time. He too will need time for himself. Just because he isn't home dealing with the dailies doesn't mean that school/work aren't stressfull/tiring/cause for burnout/can cause resentments to develop as well.

It's a balance.Both need time for themselves. Both need to remain balanced.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You shouldn't have to ask, but rather "discuss" what day would be good for him? Afterall if mom is happy, so is everyone! (Get the hint) If he is unwilling- find a trusted friend, family member, etc that will step in to give you your much-deserved break. However, if that becomes necessary, tell him you would hate to grow to resent him for not being a more supportive/understanding spouse! It's his child too, so it's not babysitting- it's parenting!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Be honest. You work just as hard as he does. If he can't take responsibility of your kid then what good is he?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• WOW- if he has only watched her once; i bet you Do need a Break! i would not worry about him getting Mad or Upset with you- All Mommy's need a Break! You need some time to yourself & time to re-group- Maybe, he doesn't realize it; if you have never told him- i don't see why it should be a issue- just tell him you need some "ME" time! Hope everything works out for you!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010