Do you think too much television contributes to children being hyperactive?

momof2boys423

Asked by momof2boys423 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• No I think it contributes to them being too lazy. My 4 year old niece doesn't even want to play because all she wants to do is watch cartoons. When I was younger tv was the last thing on my mind. Nowdays very small kids just want to sit around and watch it all day. She will srgue with you if you try to get her to go play or something.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• In very young children - yes. They don't get the chance to burn off the energy and end up going crazy when the TV is turned off. In older children - no. They just veg and end up being even more tired from not doing anything all day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think it makes them lazy and if a child doesn't play then they are going to be hyper from all the stored energy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, I totally do! Just watch some of the cartoons they have on television now...tons of colors...always moving and going....outlandish things happening in them. I think it messed with the brain waves and causes chaotic behavior!
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes. Sadly, my son is addicted to television. He too prefers tv to any other activity. He plans his day around the television schedule. He is only seven. We have implemented no tv until homework is done. He argues about it everyday, but he is much calmer when he is reading or drawing or choosing to play outside instead of tv and video games (another big stimulant).
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2008