Car Seats: Convertible vs. Infant.

I"m pregnant and looking for a car seat. I am torn between getting a Graco Safety Seat for infants or a convertible. The downside of a convertible is you can't take it off the base and use it to carry the child around in, but the convertible can be used longer. What did other moms out there do? Which is better for a newborn?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 6:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well i found out that a convertable one is hard to fit in a lot of cars we had to go with a infant see cause our back seat is to small for a convertable
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My daughter was a small baby and we were affraid the convertable woul swallow her and she would not be safe so we went and bought a infant seat. With this one we just got the infant seat because a convertible wont fit in the car LOL
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I found the infant seats really heavy and a pain to carry around. If I was to do it again I would get the convertable one. As for carrying the baby around, nothing beats a good sling.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 8:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The infant carseat is definately better. We had them for our twins and they were great because you can get them in and out of the car without waking them.
    twinsmom1107

Answer by twinsmom1107 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• we got the convertible but I am a stay at home mom and I have the time to monkey around with the inconvienences they can bring. I'd say 2 big pluses are the price and because you have to either carry them or wear them in a carrier when going places like the grocery store instead of putting them in the cart in the infant seat people are less likely to be all touchy with them and expose them to nasty germs and bacteria. I always thought the infant seats were very heavy and I enjoy snuggling my little man everytime i have to go in someplace. Its all about what YOU are looking for from your car seat
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i am going with an infant seat because they are so portable and they can use them for like up to a year, and i can just switch the baby to a bigger one when the next baby needs an infant seat... there are even some that snap onto the stroller which is what i wanted really bad but i had a hard time finding one so i just went with the one they bought me at the baby shower..
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008