Car Seats: Convertible vs. Infant.

I"m pregnant and looking for a car seat. I am torn between getting a Graco Safety Seat for infants or a convertible. The downside of a convertible is you can't take it off the base and use it to carry the child around in, but the convertible can be used longer. What did other moms out there do? Which is better for a newborn?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 6:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am using an infant carrier and will transition over to a convertible when we are ready. I think that it is more convenient.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I purchased the infant seat and then went to the convertible. The infant seat is easier when shopping or going for a walk in the stroller. The convertible I used from 20 lbs. on. It actually can be used as a booster - up to 100 lbs. I brought the alpha omega elite. I'm happy so far.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I use a convertable, and a sling to carry baby. Those seats get heavy!!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I bought I infant seat to begian with but now thinking about it I should have just bought the convertable one to start with because the infact seat was so heavy I never used it to carry her in.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 7:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I liked the infint seat. Mine was one that came with the stroller. I liked not having to take him in and out of the carseat everytime. It works really well if they are sleeping too, you dont have to worry about waking them. It also works better with going to the store and stuff.
    tln1

Answer by tln1 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I had the Safe Seat and loved it. I took it off the base when we went shopping until she was about 6 months old and would carry her into the house if she fell asleep in it long after that.. When she turned one and I wanted to move her to forward facing, I was able to pick a seat that had features I wanted for my toddler. I ended up choosing the SafeSeat 2 and will probably go with Graco when she's ready for a booster seat in a couple of years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have been told that a good quality carseat is what matters, BUT if you tend to have smaller babies (you or in your family) or theres a risk that your baby will be earlier and smaller, I'd get an infant seat first. My sons outgrew it between 4 and 6 months, but it was worth it when they fell asleep in the car. After that I got a Sunshine kids carseat that was good rear facing to longer heights than any other seat and then forward faces until 65lbs( or to 80lbs is available) in a harness. Such a great seat. Oh and I have a Baby trend infant seat, it passed the tests on it even when they tested them at higher speeds than they were supposed to. It was the only on that passed side impact at 75mph test.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I had the infant carrier and went to the convertible. If I had it to do over, I'd just buy the convertible. I could never carry the infant one comfortably by myself (with diaper bag, purse, etc)...so it was so much easier for me to just take him out and use the baby sling wherever we went. They grow out of the infant one so fast anyway...kind of a waste of money.
    pinkchick88

Answer by pinkchick88 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We had our daughter in November and it gets cold here in Michigan, so we got a carrier. It was way easier and easier on my mind to just take the entire seat out. We also got a carseat cover too so she stayed warm and toasty when it was cold. I wasnt about to take her out make sure to bring an extra blanket to cover her up from the car to where ever we are going. She is 11 months old and just now grew out of her carrier carseat.
    ariannas_mama36

Answer by ariannas_mama36 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• we have the Eddie Bauer convertible, it goes from 5 to 100 lbs.. we love it, but our son needed something for the first few months.. so we bought a stroller and it came with the base and all that good stuff.. we haul him around in it, but as soon as he can be comfy in someones arms, back in the Eddie Bauer he goes. Its pretty spendy, but I figure if he has to use it til he's 5, its a good investment.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:46 PM on Oct. 9, 2008