What would you do if....

what would you do if your DH/SO's job was on the line? I'm so stressing out right now!

KrazyKutie

Asked by KrazyKutie at 5:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Be prepared to live on less and you can do some on line searches with your State's Department of Industrial Relations, which pays unemployment and also lists jobs by zip code and also by type of job.

WEST VIRGINIA
    West Virginia Human Rights Commission
    1321 Plaza East Room 108A
    Charleston, WV 25301
    304-558-2616
    888-676-5546
    www.state.wv.us/wvhrc
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 5:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We have savings that would last quite a while...hopefully long enough for him to find another job.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• wow. thanks Joeygoat :] i'll look into it
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've been living that for almost three years. In 2007 I lost my job because the company I worked for closed its doors at my location and then two months later my husband's overtime was eliminated. By the end of the year he had been cut to 4 days a week. He just went back to 5 days two months ago... It has been a very rough ride. All of are savings are gone... my IRA was cashed in.... most of our equity was erased when the value of our home plummeted. Everyday I am waiting for him to come home and tell me he's been laid off. I have a list of every agency to ask for assistance from, but right now they won't help us... he would have to loose his job before the government will give us anything. We are a family of 5 with two teenagers and a 5 year old... we go no where, do nothing, we simply exist... waiting for it to get better or for the bottom to fall out....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We would be fine. I work and we have savings. We would also cut back on things as well. My dh would probably start looking for another job and take anything for the time being.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• First of all you need to calm down
    Second of all you need to be looking for work
    Third of all just take some deep breaths and realize that things are going to be fine.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Get his resume ready, write out a plan to cut down on expenses, sit down together and figure out your priorities...for example, for me, i value our health, so i'd rather give up cable, phone, internet etc,,,,and reduce amounts we eat, rather than to reduce the grocery bill by sacrificing fruits and veggies for mac and cheese....but I can exercise at home, so gym membership would be gone too....soooo, decide on what's most important to you....once expenses are down, work on how you're going to increase income....... Good luck !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Newathis- I'm calm, just stressed. I babysit my nephew while my sister works. So that brings in only about $200 a month. but its better than nothing! He's already looking for work just to be on the safe side.
    KrazyKutie

Comment by KrazyKutie (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would be taking charge of his job search: get his Linkedin profile cleaned up, update his resume, make sure that he has four professional references lined up, look into networking events for him, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• He's self employed, so we have some weeks when he's working like crazy and some weeks when he's not working at all. We keep a cushion in our bank account and always have two backup plans in case the work dries up completely.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:40 PM on Aug. 26, 2010