School Uniforms - Jewelry

My 13 yo daughters school is great. It's all about the uniform, but she's a Freshman this year and she all of the sudden asked for a tennis bracelet. She's never spoken about 'nice' jewelry before. Do kids in high school compete with one another with accessories?

I don't want to give in if that is the case.

Denise2000

Asked by Denise2000 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in

• of course they do.... and with sneakers/shoes too if they are not regulated by the uniforms.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I would assume they do. But who cares. It's non-offensive. It's something she can wear all the time in and out of school. A good one will last her a long time. And as long as they are permitted to wear them with the uniform I don't see an issue here... We all compete with someone or something... It's part of life, half the time we don't even realize we do it. But it's part of our make up to want to have nice things and be admired by others for having them... How is that a bad thing? It's normal and healthy behavior...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Maybe she seen someone with one & liked it. Shes always older, as as shes getting up in age, it goes from Claires to higher vaule, (sp) But if you think she can take care of one & respect it, & you want to get her one, then go for it. Shes your child to spoil/love/ do as you please with (to a point). If getting her one makes you smile, then do it.

& yea shes competing, even if she doesnt know it. Its human to. I wouldn't stress it unless it becomes a habit/demand.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You ladies are so lucky. I wish our schools would even consider this. We spend a lot of money every year getting the kids ready for back to school. I'm going to pitch the idea at our back to school parent night.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It might not just be to compete with people. Even if she has seen people with them she may have just seen them and liked them or thought it would be nice to have one herself. I see no harm in a tennis bracelet, especially if it makes her happy or makes her feel good for a while...
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 7:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yes they do. Even into adulthood.:)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I did when I was in catholic school, it was all about the jewelry and the shoes you had to have a certain style and color of Keds and i thad to be Keds not an off brand.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:43 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It really just depends on the kid. It could just be that she wants something special for this new transition.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i think it would depend on your child... but i have found that often a friend or someone they "admire" got one and so your child would want one too...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2010