How do I handle family members mispronouncing my children's names?

My daughter's name is Rhapsody (pronounced RAP-sudy). My father in law calls her Raphsody (pronounced RAF-sudy). She's two and he's done this her whole life and it drives my husband and I nuts.

My son's name is Imriel (pronounced IHM-ree-l)... my sister calls him "Emeril" (as in Emeril the cook BAM). He's 2 weeks old.

How do I tactfully correct them?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Just keep correcting him. They aren't "normal" names but not so weird that family can't get it right.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just say "it's actually pronounced _________" with a smile on your face.
    I have the same problem. My girl's name is Kyra, pronounced just like Tyra but with the K sound in the beginning. Every one who sees it says Keera.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• idk... my grandpa called me bess and my name is beth. truthfully though i wouldn't say that they are pronouncing it much different than it actually is. i wouldn't take it personally, everyone pronounces things slightly different. i wouldn't nit pick about it and since you picked unique names that is something that you and your kids will have to deal with for their whole lives.... you can't get bent out of shape about it everytime it happens (bc it's gonna happen frequently)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• That's hard. I would just niceful do it or have your two year old do it in a cutsy way. It would hurt my feelings if they continued to get my kids names wrong.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Just say the name correctly after they say it wrong. I feel ya on this one. My son's name is Bergen( BUR-GEHN) and people constantly pronounce it BUR-JEN!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My sons name is Eldon and when I introduce him people still think "Alvin" or "elton" so I say: This is Eldon E-L-D-O-N. If it were family I would just tell them straight up. "No its RaP...theres no F." The other one sounds like thats just the way she pronounces it. Im sure she knows.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Start saying your FIL and sister's name wrong. Ha! That'll teach 'em.. :)

I think I would just say, "For the love! It's Rhapsody and Imriel! Seriously, people! Say it with me! I love y'all but sheesh!"
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• BTW, I realize these names are not "normal" and I get that they may be difficult to pronounce, but they're family...
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Tell them, simply, honestly and directly. This is what I named my child, this is how you pronouce it. Say "They are learning to talk and I don't want them confused on their own name" Another option, or in addition preferably, offer them to give your LO's nicknames. Something special that only Grandpa or Auntie calls them. It could ba a variation of the name or something compleatly different like sweatpea, peanut, or anything cultural for you. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 5:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• my daughters name is Gabrielle, not Gabby, not GiGi. I correct people all the time.

Oh and she is almost 6 and my inlaws can't spell her name....
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 5:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010