Call me crazy but... adult content

I want to avoid Barbie dolls with my daughter as long as possible. I know this may seem a little radical, but I think they are a bit too "sexy" for a toddler to play with. I played with Barbies my whole life, so I'm not completely anti-Barbie, I just want my daughters to grow up with healthy self-images and not feel the need to look like Barbie. I'd rather not rear Heidi Montags... Was that out of line? :)

I have researched a little bit, but cannot seem to find some real-life looking dolls- Not baby dolls, but mommies, daddies, etc. Does anybody know of any?

Biz1985

Asked by Biz1985 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373342

OP, here's a link to the ones I was talking about.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• people went ape shit thought when they came out with the "mommy barbie"...remember the pregnant barbie? would you let your daughter play with her? people arent going to be happy no matter what. The would be screaming barbie is obese if you did make a regular bodied barbie
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Here you go... What do you think of these?

The Only Hearts Club

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You know... I feel somewhat the same! HOWEVER... I will not let my daughter play with BRATS... I mean seriously they look like little drama momma sluts! They have makeup CAKED on, then they put them in these little tiny itty bitty skirts and shirts, its like, what the hell are they trying to teach my child?
    I too played with barbies, I think that as long as their clothing is appropriate then its all good! You cant avoid real life situations, such as avoiding seeing some woman dressed a little on the revealing side, while walking down the street... its life! Or what if you dont approve of a bikini, you cant go to the beach and make every woman in a bikini, cover her body for your childs sake.. it would be nice though, right? LOL Anyways what Im trying to say is you cant protect them from everything, you just have to teach them what you feel is right and wrong and hope that it sets in! Good luck!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• they have a big girl dora doll now.... how about that? it is aimed for the older girls
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Dont know of any..sorry hope you find what you are looking for... try looking for the polly pocket dolls or something
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree with you! I thankfully have a son! lol You could try the American girl dolls.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• or american girl dolls, but they are supposed to be 7 or 8 yo.... they're not grown ups, but they are realistic
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• sorry for all the typos..my computer is slow
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We avoided Barbies for a long time too, but my MIL kept buying them for my kids and I finally gave in and let them have them when they got to be around 5 or 6. It's been a couple of years, and thankfully I haven't noticed any negative effects at all from them playing with them. Before that, we bought these dolls that I'm pretty sure were made by Fisher Price that are smaller than Barbie, but realistic and very "normal" looking (as far as not being sexy or outrageously thin). If you have a Toys R Us store near you, check there--they should have many options to choose from.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010