Am I developing a bad habit by rocking baby to sleep?

My daughter is now 11 months old. I or someone has rocked her to sleep pretty much every night since she was born. Am I creating a bad habit? The thing is, I give her a night bottle and she usually falls asleep right after eating it. I'm worried about what is going to happen when I stop giving her a bottle.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you just rock them to sleep without the bottle. they will still fall asleep. then when they get older (with my kids it was around 2yo) they will fall asleep on their own and you don't have to hold them anymore.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• you can still rock them to sleep, it might be a bit harder without the habit of the bottle.. don't worry at this point mommy..!! just keep doing what's working..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• No, you're meeting your baby's emotional needs. She needs that closeness and comfort. She will be okay when you stop giving her a bottle because she will still be getting the cuddles from mommy or daddy to get to sleep.

I rocked my daughter to sleep until she was 20 months, and only stopped then because I was big pregnant with my son lol.

She will outgrow the need for it sooner or later. Enjoy the fact that she needs you so much while she does... no need to force her to grow up too fast.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i think its okay as long as you put her to bed as soon as she falls asleep...don't sit there and hold her
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i'm sure someone will say 'yes'..but it won't be me. i rocked my son to sleep until he was almost 2yo. and a few times after that. he's 5yo now, and i wish more than anything i could rock him again. (he won't let me!) they grow up so fast, and everyone wants them to be so independent so quickly...i miss those nights! in fact, sometimes i still lay down by him when he's in his bed. i talk to him, pray for him, tell him how much i love him, and just snuggle as long as i can with him. i know he'll be too old and grown-up to want that (not to mention, it might be a little creepy when he's a teen! lol!) very much longer..so i'm getting it while the gettings good.

you do what you feel is right for both of you. don't let anyone tell you what you have to do with your own child.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't think it's a bad habit. A Habit yes that you will have to break when she is too big to rock but you'll cross that bridge then. As long as it's working for all involved, don't worry about it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It'll all work itself out....I rocked all three of mine....they have had no problems sleeping in their own beds or any other ill effects from it....I think it creates a bond for a long time after you stop rocking, so rock away mama ! lol Eventually you might replace the rocking with a song and a back rub, then just a song....my kids are 11, 9 and 7...I'm still singing to them every night and i don't think there's anything wrong with that....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think you need to do what works for you and your baby. If you're happy with rocking her to sleep at night, then do it. If not, then work on figuring out another bedtime routine.

And I hope this doesn't come off as offensive, but I have known many people who didn't brush out or rinse their baby's teeth after that last bedtime-bottle and the little baby teeth ended up with cavities, or worse, "bottle-rot".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_childhood_caries

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose to do!

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i don't think so...i mean i rocked my son and cherished it because i knew there would be a day that he would not let me do it anymore! i rocked him until 2 and 1/2 then he didn't let me anymore..they like to feel loved and they will grow out of it, i think its fine to rock them!
    jess311

Answer by jess311 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• YOU ROCK THAT BABY :) lol Seriously though things sort of go through cycles...and this cycle will eventually change too :) Enjoy it, relish it, and remember that one day you will WISH you could rock your baby again.

Forget what all the people tell you, its your life, your baby! :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2010