Question

If your son wanted to wear a dress and some heals. How would you handle the situation it doesn't matter the age.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 5:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• my 3 year old plays dress up regularly... I have no issue.

We do not enforce gender roles.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If he was a toddler I would let him. I
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 5:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• At home,fine.
    Out,no
    At any age

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Would you let him go to school or public like that.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

----------------

Of it was that important to him, yes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• To me it depends entirely on the age. At 3 or 4, its just a child imitating Mommy. At 14, its something else entirely. I make sure my children look good when we're out in public or they're going to school. This is done by making sure they're clean and dressed appropriately for where they're going. Dressing appropriately would mean gender specific clothing. I also don't allow costumes when we're out. Dress up is for playtime at home.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• So long as it was age and weather appropriate (no sweaters in summer or tanks in winter sort of thing) I don't care what my kid wears. I only have the one girl but it would be the same for a boy. Whatever they want to wear, where ever they want to wear it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It totally depends on the age and situation. If he was little, and wanted to play dress-up, sure. He could wear it at home. I wanted to dress up as a boy at times when I was little, lol. However, if he wanted to wear it out in public, no, I would not let him. Now...if he was older and seriously was struggling with gender identity or something, and it made him happy to wear a dress, I'd let him, I guess.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Id say no because Im not buying dresses and heels in their sizes. They would swim in my outfits and I dont own a pair of heels.

However, they have each taken their turns grabbing and wearing my bra around the neck and I did snap pics to blackmail them with later on in life LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My sons actually own dresses. However, they have to wear their feminine clothing at home only until they understand how society perceives men who dress like women. We don't force gender roles here. Then again, my husband and I are transgender.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:10 AM on Aug. 27, 2010