what do i need to know about moving to alaska

hello my husband is in the army and for our first move we are going to fort richardson alaska. This will be my first time away form home and i would like to know what i can expect what i should bring and what is there to do thanks

Mrs._Ortega

Asked by Mrs._Ortega at 5:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Travel

• its cold and the days and nights last a looooong time depending what time of yr it is
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• seriously you ought to look at the State's website. :) Safe travels.
    Zoeyis

• Oh boy I hope you enjoy it gl
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• What part of Alaska? The area around Anchorage is really nice in the summer- 75 degrees when you are not in the mountains. I visited an Uncle that lives up there (stationed with the Air Force) a couple of summers ago and thought it was a great place to live. Not sure if I would have felt that way if I visited him in the winter though...

You might want to join our Military Moms group. I'm sure a member of that group has lived on or visited that base before.

The URL for the Group is http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984

Cafe Meghan

Answer by Cafe Meghan at 6:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies do tons of research and join groups before goin.Get all you family and friends info before you go because you will be very very very homesick. Have a pix bk that you can keep in your purse or small bag it will help out when you missin home.GL and Happy Movin...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It is cold, some places are really poor, and do lots of research!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010