How do I ask my girls if they want to come live w/ me?

My girls have been living w/ my ex for 3 yrs. (different state than I) Things are really bad financially for him (them) I want and need them here, so they are safe and live a normal life. They like it where they are only because they don't know any better.

jaxterzz

Asked by jaxterzz at 7:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Just ask them! But don't point out how bad things are for them where they are!
    Is it possible for you to talk to their dad about things?
    Don't try to win their approval with stuff---or by saying I can do this...but I know your dad can't! That's a sure way to get them to want to have nothing to do with you!
    Just let them know that your home is always open to them!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 7:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Is Dad on board with this? It will be much more smoother if you all could sit together and put it out there on the table. If Dad has a positive attitude about it, your daughters will consider it more. I agree with the other comment, don't make the good/bad comparison - I'm sure they are aware of the differences.
    Anonymous

• If they have a choice they will say no. Tell them what they will do and what they will not do and this is only the begining of what it's gonna be like living with mom so they might as well get use to it . Or are you gonna let them make their own decisions?
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 9:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• if the dad won't fight you don't ask them tell them they are your daughters..they don't have a choice. they are minors. be ready emotionally and mentally for what may come next but stand your ground you are their mother. love them and set your rules and bounderies. they ARE minors and YOUR girls!!
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If you and your ex think it would be best for them, then do it. It's not fair to expect children to make the adults decisions.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2008