Do you believe the news is sanitized?

Here is a story that came through on email (not sure if it is true or not).
I, Gene Hackemack, received this email from my good friend Tedd
Petruna, a diver at the NBL facility [Neutral Buoyancy Lab], at NASA
Houston, with whom I used to work. Tedd happened to be on this same
Flt. 297, Atlanta to Houston.

Semper Fi
Gene Hackemack

PS...can you imagine, our own news media now are so politically correct
that they are afraid to report that these were all
muslims...unbelievable. Thank God for people like Tedd Petruna.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:58 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I pay very little attention to what is called 'news' in the US. Most of them rank little better than the tabloids imo because of the entertainment crud that is called 'news' along with the bias.

"News" isn't someone's opinion of what happened ~ it is what happened. Not part of the story. Not just the quotes some bigot considers worthy. Not just what ups the ratings and the revenue. I read the 'news' from all over the world and take half of what I read there with a healthy sprinkling of salt (none of that single grain balogna).

I'm not some mindless potato that cares more about what some celebrity said/did than what is important. What most Americans call 'the news' offends my sensibilities and insults my intelligence.

Our media has a lot more than just sanitized working against it imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• yea I can believe! They stopped showing the footage of 9-11 because it kept us upset with the people that attacked our homeland. Imagine if that had happened after Pearl- Harbor. Hitler would be in charge.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I don't know about "sanitized" but I have always believed the Gov. only lets us know as much as they WANT us to know. I'm sure lots of things happen that one would really only know about if they were there, after all the Gov. doesn't want tons of people to get upset, worried and to therefor become intolerant.....and since the Gov. can tell the media what to air and how much.............................
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Even snopes has it as a mixture of true and false. All I found was it supposedly happened in 2009.
    The threat is there. Who knows
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• It is now the media who only lets you know what they want you to know.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:05 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I believe that we are only told what the government and/or the corporations that own the media want us to know. It is our responsiblity to take what they say with a grain of salt and research it further.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Even snopes has it as a mixture of true and false. All I found was it supposedly happened in 2009. The threat is there. Who knows _______________________

I actually read the snopes article. Air Tran has said that the supposed author of this email was not on the flight at all. The only true things were that there was some people on the plane being uncooperative, but that's it.  Here's what Air Tran says http://www.insideairtran.com/?p=2200  Here's what snopes says http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/flight297.asp

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Did this story happen? I don't know.

Could this, or something similar to this, have happened and been completely glossed over by our media for our "protection"? Oh, yes, I think it could have. Our news reporters have forgotten their first duty to report the facts to us and let us form the opinions. It's rather appalling, really.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Here's a couple of articles on this. Seems like no one's really sure if this guy's story is true or not. The Atlanta Journal Constitution has been trying to contact him.

http://www.ajc.com/business/airtran-hero-wasnt-on-226517.html

http://www.jewishindy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=11182
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 6:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I think most likely the media have no idea what happened. It's this guy's word against the airline's.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 6:20 PM on Aug. 26, 2010