So does this mean my second child is a bad baby because she cries?

My mom used to boast about how my first was "such a good baby" because she hardly ever cried. She came up a week ago to help me out around the house and my second baby was a bit fussy. My mom kept saying she's more fussy than my first was when she was a baby and kept telling her to stop crying so we can sleep. Does that mean, according to her, that my second child isn't a good baby simply because she cries? I mean yeah I'll admit that my first was probably the best way for me to ease my way into motherhood by her not crying so much, but that doesn't mean my second baby is a "bad baby" because she does cry more than my first. I don't know why she is more fussy. Maybe she is just more gassy or she is just more needy. That doesn't make her a bad baby or me a bad mom does it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ummm...she cries because she's a baby, not because she's bad.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:00 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• no that's silly all baby's are different! my son was very colicky & cried all the time but 6 month old baby is perfectly happy as long as she is being looked at or held or talked to lol
    jess311

Answer by jess311 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• No, it does not mean that this baby is bad. It means she is fussy. Some babies are like that. My first born was a fussy baby. He wasn't 'bad'. My second child was a good baby. He just hardly ever cries.

In this case, 'good' does not mean virtuous, or commendable. In this case good is more of the 'desireable trait' type of thing.

Does that help?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Nooo!!! Don't let anyone speak that over your children or yourself either. I think that if you believe something about someone long and hard enough, you'll make it happen! My girls are both very laid back so they are the "good grandchildren" to my MIL and FIL. The other granddaughter is more active, so they say things like, "She's a terror," blah blah.

Your mom was just maybe noticing the difference in the siblings? Hopefully not favoring one over the other.

It's amazing how babies show their little personalities so early in life, isn't it?!
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• that's just ridiculous! i agree with what all these ladies posted :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Not at all. Some babies need more security and attention that others. Theres no such thing as a bad baby!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• No, she is not a bad baby and you are not a bad mom! Pat yourself on the back for doing a good job. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• NO! There is no such thing as a bad baby! And I'm sure you're a wonderful mother. Babies cry because they can't talk, they can't tell you when they have an issue or need something, so they cry. It's not a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• My first didn't cry either this time around I have a really fussy baby!!! it is very weird because I wasn't use to this and wasn't expecting a fussy baby it's not like you asked for that.. She just needs more attention, she's not bad at all neither is my LO it's somthing you just deal with! Tell your mom to sleep somewhere else if she doesn't like listening to a BABY cry.. lol it's what they do! :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Bad and good are stupid terms. There are content babies and babies who need to communicate.

I would so pinch your mother for that.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:32 PM on Aug. 26, 2010