How would you handle it if your 6 y.o special needs son with a 1:1 aid, and IEP ran from school into the swampy woods?

My son whom is six in kindergarten has a 1:1 aid as part of his IEP. The other day at school he ran out of the building, down the bus path, across the front of another school, into the parking lot, and in the woods. It took four teachers to catch him. In the woods is a huge swamp. My town is full of swamps. The school did not tell me. I heard it from my daughter whom goes to the other school down the hill. Nothing was written in his communication book that is part of his IEP. His 1:1 aid is part of his IEP as well. He has a cognitive disorder and a mood disorder. I told the school about his wandering before school began. What would you do if this was your son and the school did not notify you of this incident? Am I over-reacting for being upset?

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 7:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hi...i am a special educator here in Baltimore, MD. I would be furious too if someone did not tell me about something like this!! For our school, when something like this (god forbid) happens...we call the parent once the situation is under control or if we need them right then and there, we call. My question is....where was the 1:1 aid? Apparently not doing their job. We have aids in our school (high) that do not do their jobs and are a waste of space.
    kayteee25

Answer by kayteee25 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I would be furious if I was not notified! I don't know what you should do about itbut, You need to talk to the Principal and make sure it never happens again! You are definately NOT over reacting!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would have been furious. You are his mother and deserve full disclosure. Not info on everything except how your six year old son got outside!!! That is just plain scary. Someone could have driven by and picked him up, he could have gotten hit, or just hurt. I would let the teachers know that I had found out what happened, and from now on they better let you know EVERYTHING that happens.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 7:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I am a 1:1 and first off I would never, ever let my student get to that point where he was out of the building. I have in the past had to chase a child through the school but we put in a call to the office called a code blue and then all the teachers go to their doors and watch for the child. This is for their safety and to help us especially in a larger school. Second, the teacher should have called you as well as left a note in the notebook and make sure you have documentation that this happened!
    Anonymous

• You are not over reacting. My son is a "bolter". When he gets so overwhelmed he runs- anywhere. He has run out of the school more than once. Every time I have been informed. Hang in there and stand up for what you know is right for your son. Good luck and remember you are not alone.
    jenseney

Answer by jenseney at 8:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Remember that you are your child's biggest advocate, as I'm sure you know by now. Voice your opinion to the administration. Do not stop until you have achieved the results you are looking for. Never give up! Best of luck! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I would be pissed and take it to the board of education.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• The school should have notified you immediatley. As a parent I would be calling the principal first and then straight to the special eduaction director and DEMAND some answers. I would also DEMAND a plan be set up to make sure this never happens again. If I didn't feel I was getting an adequate response I would be heading straight to the superinetdant of the school district. If you still get no where....Contact the local newspaper...School districts hate BAD publicity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Are you kidding me?? I would be furious! As the previous responses stated, you are definately not over-reacting. I am sorry that this has happened. I have a special needs child also, severely developmentally delayed, congnitively disabled. I would certainly be talking to the director at the school or whoever is in charge there as well as to his teacher and getting to the bottom of just why they didn't notify you. It is very important that you and they be on the same page. I would request that it be written somewhere that you be notified by note or phone call whenever anything out of the ordinary happens concerning your child.

On the bright side of things, at least they were hot on his tail! :0)
    HUGS
    peasntatersmom

Answer by peasntatersmom at 8:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• As a teacher you have every right to be concerned and outraged with the treatment of your son. If he is given an assistant, that assistant must not leave until he or she is relieved. You should have been notified immediately, regardless of their intentions or expections of your reactions. It sounds as though you can possible have a lawsuit.
    ylonda

Answer by ylonda at 10:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008