How do low income individuals afford smoking?

31.5 percent of adults who are below the poverty level smoke, compared to 19.6 percent of adults who are at or above the poverty level.5

Smoking among Medicaid recipients is much higher than smoking among the overall adult population: 32.6 percent vs. 20.6 percent.7, 8

27.5 percent of adults who do not graduate from high school smoke compared to just 10.6 percent of those with a college education, and 5.7 percent of those with a graduate degree.9

An analysis of data on ever smokers from the 2003, 2006 and 2007 Tobacco Use Supplement
------------
This blows my mind. A pack of cigarettes and a frappe cost roughly the same. We are working middle class and I cannot afford to have a frappe every day. Its not in the budget. How do low income individuals afford to smoke?

karamille

Asked by karamille at 6:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well going by what I grew up with,my mom put her habit above making sure I was fed most of the time. I'd go to school literally with bread and water for lunch,but she ALWAYS had cigs,and this was when they were a buck a pack!
    I'd assume that they were not buying other things in order to buy them. Like food maybe like in my case.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• this is easy...they have the money to buy things like cigerettes or booze because the government is giving them money for things that they actually DO need
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Even now, my parents choose that nasty habit over things needed. It comes out of the budget before food, gas or anything else. It pisses me off to no end.
    Its not that I want to tell them what they can and can't do, but if they are gonna come to me asking for help, they damn sure are gonna drop the nasty habit. If you can afford to kill yourself, you can afford NOT to have my help!!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I have learned that people can afford whatever they want . My bet is they are not paying all of their bills.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 6:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• We give them everything under the sun food stamps Christmas gifts, clothes, they can even get help for their rent, free back packs, cars some get, they make money on the side from what I can tell and yet they still have it better then some of us that work full time and have 2 people working
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• because the taxpayers pay for the groceries, rent and utilities, and medical leaves them money for brand new cars and cigarettes and drugs
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 6:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Smoking among Medicaid recipients is much higher than smoking among the overall adult population: 32.6 percent vs. 20.6 percent.7, 8

Question. Do people have less incentive to make healthy choices when they are not responsible to pay the insurance bill?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• The bills are late or not paid. The kids don't haave a lot of clothes, or hand me downs. They depend on friends and family to help them because they just can't afford this or that .Blah Blah with their bull. Get $ store things that aren't worth crap, some stuff is, not all stuff. There are so many things they go without, and unfortunately it's the kids that go without too. BUT, they always have food stamps that do help w/some of the food, so they don't feel completely guilty.Some people will just never change.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They pick and choose what is more important and when your addicted to cigs its pretty much at the top of your list.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• By giving up something else - the same way some people afford a iPhone they don't need but think they do or a 11 mpg SUV when they could get a used minivan with better mileage for half the price.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:07 PM on Aug. 26, 2010