Has anyone had to ween off anti-depressants during pregnancy, and how did it work out

Feeling moody and down some days, crying others, and then somewhat ok other days.

NinoandMia

Asked by NinoandMia at 6:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Health

• When I found out I was pregnant and saw my doctor I was told to discontinue use of the antidepressants, and I have i just completely stopped taking the medication. I have been a little down some days but not too bad. Just take it a day at a time and I'm sure you will be ok.
    rachel66

Answer by rachel66 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Also depending on how long you were on anti depressant your body was dependent on that and know that your coming off of it your body is adjusting and your emotions need time to adapt to not having that in your system.
    rachel66

Answer by rachel66 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• When my mom got pregnant with my sister, she quit her meds. She was on 3, Paxil, Lorezapam (sp?), and one other. Anxiety and depression meds. For a while she had her good and bad days. I guess with not having the meds she'd been on for years mixed with hormones. Her first 6 months or so were rough then she kind of evened out. She made it though. For her, it was worth it with all the effects they would have had on the baby. You can make it too. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• On her bad days she would lay down for a while, sometimes take a nap. Deep breathing helped, also reminding herself why she went off of them. Get someone you can talk to when you're having a really bad day to help you through. Mom says having her "phone buddies" got her through.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Thank you for your comments. I so appreciate them. I did stop using my meds cold turkey. have had some really bad days and then really good days. Have m=noticed some mood swings, but otherwise ok. Thank you guys for your help :D
    NinoandMia

Comment by NinoandMia (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010