Can they really do this!?

This is for a magazine publisher....if I hadn't paid it in a long time bc I do not have the money for it and can not pay them anything really. (I KNOW i made a huuge gigantic mistake with this...lesson learned) Do they honestly take my stuff to court if I don't pay it?? It's only like 300 some dollars left to pay for this thing. My dad has dealt with ppl like this before because my sister was in a position with a credit card company before and they told her the same thing. He said that they say all that to scare you that Who cares that you have debt with magazine publishers ya know? So my question is ....do they actually send it to court or are they just trying to scare me? I'm mostly asking the ppl that has ever been thru something like this. THanks!

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes they can. whether they actually do over that amount is up to them though. Some places don't bother but some do.

I got taken to court by walmart for $22
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They could go to court. If you owe then you owe. Could be a scare taciit but might not be.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They can if they want to. And they will put it on your credit report too. It will make your credit bad.

Answer by louise2 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Call your local Bar Assoc & get a free or low price consult w/ an attorney to get to the bottom of this. He/She will be able to tell if it's legit or not.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• OMG darkaery...thats so stupid for them to take you to court for that! I still think its dumb. I know that I owe...but she was trying to get 430 dollars out of me today and im like I DO NOT have that amt in my acct. She said okay we can do 133. I said ok..but i still dont have that much. And shes like okay but u understand the consequences if you dont? i was liek fine just charge me. then she was like uhm ma'am your card was declined. im like DUH because I dont have the money!!! good grief. Im like i cant do anything about it if i dont have money. This is ridiculous. My dad said to just let them take it to collections or whatever they want to do. It's not gonna affect me. My credit already is in the shithole so its not gonna make a difference. But I just cant do anythinga bout it at this time.
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• if they want to, it's not likely though bc 300 isn't really enough to go after.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They sure can.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 7:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They can take you to court and ruin your credit rating. BTW $300 is not a small amount. Many companies are struggling. You may cost someone their job. Why did you order the magazines if you couldn't afford them. Work out a payment plan. Send them $5 or $10 every month until it's paid.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 7:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• They said that 10 bucks was unacceptable
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I guess as long as you sign a contractr anyone can take you to Court. If you pay it's my understanding they can not do anything if you pay $10.00 a monht, as long as it's every month. I've heard of Hospitals taking $10.00 a month as arranged, but they HAD to pay the payment every month or got in trouble. Give it a try and they can't report you to the credit bureau either if you make a monthly pymt.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2010