Making friends online? A new concept for me...

I have never had a problem making friends but it seems like ever since I hooked up with my fiance and had a baby all of my friends have vanished into thin air. I have mom friends in my hometown but now I live 400 miles away. Out here, in LA, none of my friends have kids or are even in a serious relationship. I get soo lonely and bored sometimes! I think it would be so much fun to have mom friends and get breaks for myself too but I am seriously such a loner now! Anyway I'm turning to Cafe Mom to make some new friends in my area. I've always thought meeting people online was a little weird but I guess I could give it a shot. So... this is my attempt to make friends. lol. I'm interested in your experience meeting people online and then meeting them in person. Are they what they seemed? Are they still your friends? And if you are in the Los Angeles area, holla!

katmami

Asked by katmami at 7:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• I have made quite a few RL friends through CafeMom, haven't had a bad experience yet. Look up CafeMom groups for your area, when I moved 1800 miles away from my hometown I was able to find a playgroup for the area where I was moving here on CafeMom.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Keep in mind too that your local library probably has a story hour and you could meet moms there. You could ask about other town activities for children through the visitor's website and chamber of commerce. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Hi and welcome to CafeMom! I'm pretty much in your shoes too. I moved and now I have 2 little ones. I have a couple of friends here but the closest they are is 20 minutes away. I've reconnected with some of my "old" friends through Facebook. I've been here on CafeMom for 4 years now and I L♥VE IT!!! =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 7:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• good ideas, thank you ladies. :)
    katmami

Comment by katmami (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i was in the same boat when i moved across country many years ago. i live in a strange land called the DFW metroplex where many are friendly but it is very hard to make real friends... as for meeting people online, that was totally foreign to me but i've actually become close to three women in particular i met on this site - not what i was trying to do it just happened... we started conversing about some common interests and just had very strong connections. i also met a bunch more wonderful women on this site but they're really just CM friends (which are great!). i suggest joining a few groups with women who have common interests... if there is one that seems to speak your language, just keep a conversation going, send a private message and get to know each other - sometimes it is a "match" other times not. would help others to know more about you to offer friendship here.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I've made a couple of rl friends here on cafemom, one local but the other is half-way across the country! But we are friends on FB now and she was what she represented herself to be. Both of them, actually. Good luck :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010