Other people's children...

Recently I've been talking to my SO's daughter (by another mother) and she told me a lot about how he is with her and I think that perhaps some of these issues need to be addressed. I'm friends with her mother and obviously with her father, but do I have the right to bring up these subjects? At first she told me not to mention it but now she has asked me to speak to him and he has always accepted, even asked for, my opinion on these sorts of things in the past.

SarahBel

Asked by SarahBel at 7:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you have a right to bring them up, especially since she wants you to, and he has been accepting in the past.
    What might help even more though is if his dd wrote everything out on paper and gave it to him. Then maybe you could help make it is interpreted in the right way so there is no misunderstanding.
    This allows the subject to be brought up by her, but with your help still.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• You're treading in dangerous territory here. He could feel like you are on her side or questioning his parenting abilities. If you notice what she told you to look out for, then take him aside or wait until the child is not there/or in earshot to discuss your concerns. (make them your concerns- not the mom's) The only exception would be if it's an abusive situation, then step in right away. Good Luck & Be careful!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I like the have her write it out idea. And I would approach him, talk to him if he's been open to your thoughts before but I'd also work on having HER talk to him herself. BOTH should work on how to communicate with each other .... maybe even discuss that with him. It depends on the issues how I'd handle it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• If she asked you to bring up the issues then you should.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2010