Son took a $2 bracelet from a retailer and now has to go before a judge.

It was very embarassing to go thru. Also today I received in the mail a settlement offer of $350 from a law office . My son is a minorl 14 y/o and is very regretful, have you ever been in this situation and what happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• no I haven't but best of wishes to you.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Oh that sucks. At 14 it will be sealed after he hits 18. Use it to scare him straight. I would work with a lawyer and make sure he does not go to jail for it, but ask them to give him community service so he thinks twice before doing it again.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Only once, and not for stealing. They did a drug sweep at the school and one boy slipped out. That night they were looking for him and my son and his friend went to return movies/rent more. On the way back one of the two town cops asked the group (they met some friends) their names. All but my son simply told the cops their name. Mine decided to be a smarta$$. He was wearing a leather jacket and at 14 was 5'11", and when he turned to just walk away the cop grabbed him. He tried to shrug it off and got nailed for resisting. He got no sympathy from me. Life isn't a video game or a tv show.

He had a paper route and the magistrate agreed to let him make weekly payments and do comm. service ~ and thanked me for caring enough to make it a true lesson. Today that son IS a cop and a very good daddy to his own two boys.

I wasn't embarassed. He was taught better, but kids are kids and sometimes need to learn the hard way.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Yeah, I don't care if it was a $2 bracelet or a $20,000 car, stealing is stealing and if you don't teach him the lesson now, who knows how it could escalate. Don't be embarassed. Like the other ladies said, use this to teach him a lesson. Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Wow that sucks but hopefully he learned his lesson and please don't pay for his fine. Let him work it off with the youth center so he will let it sink in that it was wrong to still.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:38 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• *steal
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• I was in a similar situation when I was his age. Of course I was on his side, not yours. Personally, I got lucky, they didn't press charges and I didn't have to deal with the fine and whatnot, but after the abuse I went through from family I wish I had had that as my punishment! As a parent, I prefer to get to the root of the issue over rely on punishment to change things. I agree that he should have to pay for the fine, if he doesn't have a job yet, he would either be getting one or I would be finding things for him to do to earn the money back. And I would also be talking with him and addressing the reason behind taking something so minor. If he were starving (which I'm sure he's not) and needed to steal to eat, that's one thing, but something this minor just doesn't fall in to the NEED category... So obviously there is something else behind it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• hopefully he will be able to look back on this as a lesson learned.... and nothing worse.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Hopefully he will not go to jail and instead he will get community service or something along those lines. It doesn't matter how much it cost, it was stealing and he should be repremanded for that.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 9:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• they just don't think.I was a volunteer juvenile probation officer for misdemeanors for about 5 yrs.Does your county offer deferred adjudication?If so this would be a good choice.You will not need to hire a lawyer because he is admitting guilt.Here is what would have been my path w/ him.If he is currently passing all classes w/ a c or above he would be required to do so for 6 months.He would have to do 10 - 20 hrs community service.Either with the county or arranged discreetly through school ,church etc.Do a serious research report of the effects of stealing on the cost to the community about 1500 words.Done well.Go to a short term counseling service to access is this stupid teen or serious deep issues or illness.Miss no school w/out M.D. note Keep monthly apt with me .Break no more laws .He would have 6 months and then he could be clean.I could almost predict success and if the teen would repeat based on parents reaction

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2010